Choi "Polt" Seong Hun is a Terran player from South Korea, who is currently playing for CM Storm.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Wings of Liberty
- 3 Heart of the Swarm
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Achievements
- 6 Championships
- 7 Gallery
- 8 Interviews
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Polt played Warcraft III:The Frozen Throne at a semi-pro level as human. He was part of the South Korean team Lof for several years. Some replays are still available.
Wings of Liberty
Early success for team Prime (2010 - September 2011)
Polt was one of four Prime members to have qualified for all 3 of the GOMTV Global StarCraft II League open seasons (the other three being Maka, Check, and HongUn). GSL 3 saw Polt gaining some fame in the StarCraft community as he defeated BoxeR with a score of 2-1 in the Round of 32. This was considered a huge upset as PlayXP had 78.79% of polled South Koreans favoring BoxeR to win.
Polt entered 2011 GSL in Code S, but was quickly struck down in his group, and later lost to TheWinD in the Up and Down matches. However, he managed to reclaim a place in Code S when LiveForever had to take leave due to military duty by taking first place in the Wildcard bracket, defeating his teammate Maka as well as Moon and Cezanne along the way. Polt continued to struggle through GSL March, where he fended off SuperNova after being sent once again to the up/down matches. In the next season, Polt advanced out of the group stage for the first time, including a 2-0 victory over the March champion MC.
In June, 2011, Polt surprised many critics by winning the 2011 GSL Super Tournament where he swept MMA 4-0 in the finals. His road through the tournament included LosirA, HuK, Maka, Alicia, and TOP respectively (RO64–RO4). This championship victory was the first for the Prime team, and because of that he was awarded the "Optimus" ID by his team.
Joining Team SCV Life (September 2011 - January 2012)
From September 3 to September 4, 2011, Polt participated in the IPL Season 3 Qualifier 2. Polt started off from the Round of 64. Polt defeated ViBE, StrifeCro, Min, and Puzzle, in order to advance in to the semifinals to face aLive. He wasn't able to defeat aLive and fell down to the 3rd/4th place match. He was able to defeat Check by a score of 1-0 in the 3rd/4th place match and took third place.
On September 14, 2011, it was announced that Polt had left Prime. Little more than a week later, Polt would join TSL, and be on leave from his university until the end of the year. On January 2012, Polt began offering coaching on GosuCoaching.com, after his first student (Dreadlord- NA Master) recommended the website after their lessons together, becoming one of the most qualified and expensive StarCraft II coaches at up to $250 per hour.
In GSL October, Polt chose Killer to be in his group because in July, Killer beat Polt, ending Polt's perfect TvP record. Both players admitted respect towards each other during the group picking ceremony. After the ceremony, Polt would join Team SCV Life, ironically making him and Killer teammates. Polt lost to Killer again, however, and his revenge went unsettled.
Polt played in the Open Bracket of MLG Orlando as his first non-Korean LAN. He managed to make it into the quarterfinals of his section of the Upper Bracket before losing to goswser. In the Lower Bracket, he managed to win his section to move on into the Championship Bracket, where he took out Jinro, iNcontroL, TLO, Sheth and HayprO all 2-0 before getting 2-0'd himself by PuMa.
In GSL November, Polt was placed in Group D with GanZi, Leenock, and Ensnare. In a small upset, he only won one game, falling to Code A Round of 32. Here he played ForGG. He lost 0-2 to move into the Up-and-Down Matches, where he ended up with an overall score of 2-2, placing fourth. This meant that Polt would be in Code A for the 2012 GSL Season 1. He would subsequently drop from Code A after losing to Creator 2-1 in the Round of 48.
IPL and other foreign tournaments (February 2012 - December 2012)
On February 18, 2012, Polt participated in the IPL 4 Online Qualifiers 2. Polt started off from the round of 64 and defeated InCa, HerO, Dream, TheStC, Creator and then advanced in to the finals to face Bomber. There he was able to defeat Bomber by a score of 2-0 and finished in first place. The first place finish qualified Polt for the IGN ProLeague Season 4.
Polt was one of the invitees to ASUS ROG Winter 2012 at Assembly. He advanced from his group 2-1, surprising many by losing 0-2 to BlinG and nearly dropping his series against TLO. Polt recovered and beat TaeJa, HerO, and Lucky in succession to reach the finals. In a very close series he managed to make several great comebacks against Stephano, ultimately winning the series 4-1 and becoming the ASUS ROG Winter 2012 champion.
Not long after, Polt would play in another foreign tournament with Stephano. This time it was the Lone Star Clash. Having beaten Heavens, State, and viOLet, Polt would once again face off against Stephano in round 6. This time around, Stephano took the series 2-1 knocking Polt into the loser's bracket where he beat Sleep. Polt would then have to play against Stephano again, this time in the grand finals. Polt would once again see himself defeated by the French Zerg, and thus he took 2nd place.
After being eliminated from Code A in 2012 GSL Season 1, Polt received a Code S seed for 2012 GSL Season 2 due to his great performances in foreign tournaments. He quickly dropped out of his Ro32 group with losses to PartinG and Oz.
Having won his qualifier, Polt was placed in Group C at IGN ProLeague Season 4. Here he placed at the top of his group ahead of Squirtle, losing only a single match against Creator. In round 1 in the championship bracket, Polt lost 2-1 to aLive knocking him down into the loser's bracket. Unfortunately for Polt, this would be the end of his run in the tournament as he lost 2-1 to MMA.
On April 21, Polt came second to ThorZaIN in Stockholm DreamHack Open. He had only dropped one game in the tournament, going 18-1 in the group stages and bracket stage, before his 3-1 defeat in the grand finals.
In Code A, Polt won against Sound 2-1 in the Round of 48 but lost to GanZi 1-2 in the Round of 32 knocking him into the Up & Down Brackets. Polt went 2-3 in his Up-and-Down Group, meaning he would stay in Code A for 2012 GSL Season 3. Here Polt beat TREME, Maru, and Shine thus returning to Code S for Season 4.
On May 5, 2012, Polt was invited to participate in the IPL Fight Club. His first opponent was MC. Polt defeated MC by a score of 5-2 and took his rightful seat at top of the throne. On May 19, 2012, Polt faced his next opponent for the IPL Fight Club, SjoW. Polt defeated SjoW by a score of 5-0 and remained at the top of the throne. On May 28, 2012, Polt faced his next opponent for the IPL Fight Club, Creator. This was where his streak ended as he lost to Creator by a score of 3-5 and allowed Creator to overthrow him.
On June 30, 2012, Polt participated in the IPL 5 International Qualifiers. Polt received a BYE in round one and then went on to take down Revival, HyuN, MaNa, and then went on to advance in to the finals to face TaeJa. He was not able to take first place and ended up taking second place after losing to TaeJa by a score of 2-3.
On July 23, 2012, Polt participated in the 2012 South Korea WCS Preliminaries. Polt received a BYE in round one and then took down IcaruS, Bong, Bogus, and faced HyuN in the finals. After taking down Tear by a score of 2:1, Polt advanced in to the World Championship Series: South Korea Nationals.
In 2012 WCS Korea Nationals, Polt advanced to the third round after beating Mvp 2:1 and TAiLS 2:1. After that he lost to Seed 0:2 and immediately after that to HerO in the loser's bracket. The result tied him for 9th-12th place and so the Consolation Matches were organized (as only top 10 players were going to advance to WCS Korea Continentals). In them Polt once again lost - this time to Miya - ending his run on 11th/12th place tied with Puzzle and without a ticket to WCS Asia Championship.
For 2012 GSL Season 4 Polt was placed in Group H along with DongRaeGu, GuMiho, and Bomber. Polt advanced in second place with two series wins over GuMiho. Polt was the first player chosen in the Ro16 Group Nomination, picked by DongRaeGu to join Group A. This would come back to haunt the Zerg player when Polt won their opening series 2-1. Polt ended up in third place after losing the last series to TaeJa. Polt would then play in the 3rd round of Code A, where he defeated his opponent Sang 2-0, which will put Polt back into Code S for Season 5.
For 2012 GSL Season 5 Polt was placed into Group A with PartinG, finale, & TaeJa. Polt lost 1-2 vs PartinG, won 2-0 vs TaeJa, and then won 2-1 vs finale to advance into the round of 16. Here Polt would first win 2-0 against PartinG before falling to Bogus and Sniper, placing him 3rd in his group. In Code A Polt faced off against Bbyong whom he defeated 2-1 and thus he secured a spot in Code S in 2013.
Polt had an impressive run at IGN ProLeague Season 5 where he was seeded into round 4. After beating YoDa and Creator 2-0, Polt advanced to the final round of 6 where he was beaten by Leenock. In the loser's bracket, Polt first beat Sniper and then Bomber before playing viOLet in the loser's finals. Polt would finally lose to viOLet 3-2 thus taking 3rd place.
Polt played in the North American Star League Season 4 Grand Finals a week later. Up until this point, Polt had put on an impressive performance in the tournament sweeping his group completely. Afterwards Polt had received a walkover against NaNiwa in the round of 16. At the Grand Finals, Polt would first beat Golden 3-1 before losing to HerO 4-2, knocking him into the 3rd place match against SortOf. Polt completely dismantled the Swedish Zerg with a decisive 4-0 victory. This particular match was quite impressive, as Polt played a different style each match convincingly.
Heart of the Swarm
Life in America (March 2013 - Present)
Polt played in the 2013 MLG Winter Championship, which started on March 15, 2013. Although he only reached the round of 16, he went out in an impressively close 2-3 series to the eventual winner of the tournament, Life. This series included a very impressive game on Star Station where Polt used ignite afterburners and great multi-task to gradually gain the edge over Life in a tense macro game.
Polt participated in WCS America 2013 Season 1 Premier League, which began in April 2013. After easily topping his Round of 32 group, going 4-0 in maps over American players IdrA and Goswser, he ended up in a 3 person group with aLive and Ryung after viOlet was unable to participate in the Round of 16. He was unable to defeat either of his opponents, going 2-4 in maps, but his default 3rd place position dropped him into the final round of Challenger League, where he qualified for Premier League Season 2 after defeating TaeJa 2-0.
On June 28, 2013, Polt participated in the 2013 MLG Spring Championship in Anaheim, California. He made his way to the finals by defeating notably Xenocider, Suppy, NaNiwa and the Kespa representative Dear. The finals was a match against his former TSL teammate, HyuN. Both players used plenty of diverse strategies during the back and forth finals, from Sky Terran to 2-bases timings, but it was Polt who finally overwhelmed his opponent in the fifth game. Winning this match not only gave Polt his first championship in over a year, but also the Triple Crown. He was only the fourth player to claim it at the time.
In WCS America 2013 Season 2 Premier League, Polt had little difficulty advancing to the bracket stage. He went 9-2 in the group stages, with the two losses to TaeJa in the Round of 32. Defeating Oz convincingly in the Round of 8, he faced TaeJa again, this time defeating his opponent 3-2. Polt defeated Jaedong 4-0 in the grand finals, giving Polt his second premier North American title. Through the entire tournament, Polt lost only four games, all to TaeJa.
During the 2013 WCS Season 2 Finals, Polt was placed in Group B with Bomber, First, and Grubby. Polt lost 0-2 versus First but won 2-0 against Grubby, giving him the chance to play in the final match where he once again played First. Despite his strong resilience he again lost 0-2 and was knocked out of the tournament.
In WCS America 2013 Season 3 Premier League after receiving a disqualification for the first best of 3 vs HyuN due to connection trouble, Polt went on to defeat Revival 2-1 in a macro oriented best of 3 and then advanced to the round of 16 after defeating Sage 2-1 convincingly, then eventually became the winner by defeating ByuL 4-1.
Because of this rally on second part of the year (MLG Anaheim, WCS America Season 2 & 3), Polt qualified at 4th place for Blizzcon WCS Grand Finals gathering the 16 best players in WCS. He beat aLive 3-0 convincingly but he fell 1-3 in quarter-final to the future winner of the event sOs.
In January 2014, Polt became the second Korean to obtain an Athlete Visa from the U.S. government after viOLet. He subsequently placed second at IEM Season VIII - Cologne after beating Classic and Rain, losing only to HerO in a marathon final, and is due to compete at the IEM Season VIII World Championship.
On February 19, 2014, it was announced that Polt was sponsored by iBUYPOWER.
- He popularized the Raven/Banshee Polt Timing Attack strategy in his Round of 64 match against MC in GOMTV StarCraft II Open 1.
- Polt is a graduate of Seoul National University, reputed as the best school in South Korea. He currently pursues his graduate studies at the University of Texas (at the main campus in Austin). As a result of this, he is one of the best English speaking South Korean players and has conducted interviews solely in English.
- Polt stirred up some controversy in his pregame interview before playing Jinro in March Code S. He stated that he did not feel Jinro was a good player, merely making two semifinals because of luck. This earned him criticism from Tasteless, Artosis and foreign fans. Jinro defeated Polt in the following match.
- First player to hold the ID "Optimus" in Prime after his GSL win.
- His 10-0 TvP winning streak was broken by Killer in the Code S group stages of GSL July, Polt however defeated Killer in their rematch and advanced from the group stage.
- Polt had the longest run in the history of MLG out of the Loser's Bracket at MLG Orlando, winning eighteen games and nine matches in a row, including wins over aLive, Sheth, and Jinro, before finally falling to PuMa 2-0 and ending his tournament at an impressive record of 23 wins and 4 losses.
- Polt completed the Triple Crown as the 5th player in the world, by winning the 2013 MLG Spring Championship.
- Polt won two WCS America titles back to back, becoming the only player to win two WCS regional titles in 2013.
- ReDeYe literally dubbed (knighted) him as "Sir Polt of Terran" after he beat Rain to reach the final of IEM Season VIII - Cologne and also qualify for the IEM Season VIII World Championship.
- Was featured in Madals' APM compilation at 2014 DreamHack Open: Stockholm.
- Was featured in a CNN Money Tech section report in both video and print, including an interview with him.
|In Major Tournaments|
|2014-06-19||2nd||2014 Red Bull Battle Grounds: North America||0 : 2||Scarlett||$1,600|
|2014-05-04||2nd||Lone Star Clash 3||2 : 4||Jaedong||$3,500|
|2012-04-09||2nd||Lone Star Clash||1 : 3||Stephano||$3,000|
|Complete Results in any Tournament|
|Global StarCraft II League Champion|
| GSL May 2011
| GSL Super Tournament 2011
18 June 2011 – 30 July 2011
| GSL July 2011|
|ASUS ROG StarCraft II Champion|
| ASUS ROG Summer 2011
| ASUS ROG Winter 2012
26 February 2012 – 4 August 2012
| ASUS ROG Summer 2012|
|MLG Pro Circuit Champion|
| 2013 MLG Winter Championship
| 2013 MLG Spring Championship
30 June 2013 – 22 June 2014
| 2014 MLG Anaheim|
|StarCraft II World Championship Series: America|
| 2013 WCS Season 1 America
| 2013 WCS Season 2 America
11 August 2013 – 20 October 2013
| 2013 WCS Season 3 America|
| 2013 WCS Season 2 America
| 2013 WCS Season 3 America
20 October 2013 – 13 April 2014
| 2014 WCS Season 1 America|
|Red Bull Battle Grounds Champion|
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: Global
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: Detroit
24 August 2014 - 21 September 2014
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: Washington|
- 2014-11-18 | Up Close & Personal: Smix, Polt, Bomber and Apollo by Meru of TeamLiquid ESPORTS
- 2014-11-10 | Pros React: Legacy of the Void impressions by Meru, Seeker and XXTN of TeamLiquid ESPORTS at BlizzCon 2014
- 2014-10-13 | I make six figures playing video games by Erica Fink of CNN at Red Bull Battle Grounds: Washington
- 2014-09-26 | Interview with Polt by John "JoRoSaR" Sargent at 2014 DreamHack Open: Stockholm
- 2013-10-28 | Polt talks about how to be a full-time student and multiple champion at the same time. by Waxangel of Teamliquid.net at 2013 WCS Season 3 Finals
- 2013-08-27 | Gamescom 2013 - Polt Interview by gXxshock of inStarCraft at 2013 WCS Season 2 Finals at Gamescom
- 2013-08-09 | Polt's post-game interview after advancing from WCS AM Ro16 by David Schmidt of ESFI at 2013 WCS Season 2 America
- 2013-06-30 | Polt talks Winning his First Major Title in a over Year at MLG Anaheim by Slasher of Gamespot.com at 2013 MLG Spring Championship
- 2013-06-29 | CM StormPolt - MLG Anaheim 2013 - Day 2 by Rachel Quirico of CyberSportsNetwork at 2013 MLG Spring Championship
- 2013-06-29 | Polt talks about Beating Dear and NaNiwa's Bad Manners at MLG by Slasher of Gamespot.com at 2013 MLG Spring Championship
- 2013-03-17 | Polt Says HOTS MetaGame Will Be Figured Out in Two Weeks - MLG by Slasher of Gamespot.com at 2013 MLG Winter Championship
- 2013-01-21 | The AfterSquid in the TSL House - EP2 - Polt's Supremacy by Iron Squid (trans. )
- 2012-12-14 | Polt 'Grilled' by Team Acer (trans. )
- 2012-12-13 | 2012 GSL Season 5 Code A Ro24 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-12-08 | Polt talks about his match against Golden at the NASL S4 Finals by Slasher of GameSpot.com at NASL 4 (trans. )
- 2012-12-01 | Polt talks about his deep run at IPL 5 by Slasher of GameSpot.com at IPL 5 (trans. )
- 2012-10-30 | 2012 GSL Season 5 Code S Ro32 Group A Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-10-17 | 2012 GSL Season 4 Code A Ro24 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-08-14 | WCS Korea Winners' Round 2 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game at WCS Korea 2012
- 2012-08-08 | WCS Korea Winners' Round 1 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game at WCS Korea 2012
- 2012-07-26 | 2012 GSL Season 3 Code A Ro24 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-07-24 | WCS Korea Qualifiers Day 2 by This Is Game at WCS Korea 2012
- 2012-07-18 | 2012 GSL Season 3 Code A Ro32 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-06-15 | Interview with TSL Polt by Rachel of Cyber Sports Network at MLG 2012 Spring Championships
- 2012-04-18 | Interview with TSL Polt by Dana of Cyber Sports Network at IPL4
- 2012-03-30 | Interview with TSL Polt by Rachel of Cyber Sports Network at MLG 2012 Winter Championships
- 2012-03-16 | Lone Star Clash: Catching up with Polt by Cyber Sports Network at Lone Star Clash
- 2011-06-25 | Interview (video) after 2011 GSL Super Tournament by Rachel of Cyber Sports Network (trans. )
- 2011-06-18 | Interview after winning the 2011 GSL Super Tournament by PlayXP
- 2011-04-20 | GSL May Code S Ro32 Day 1 Winners Interviews by Play XP
- ↑ WCIII replay of Lof.Polt vs. Spirit_Moon[Dead link]
- ↑ thread with PlayXP bets
- ↑ Polt leaves Prime
- ↑ Polt joins TSL
- ↑ GosuCoaching Welcomes TSL Polt! - GosuCoaching.com - 2012-01-03
- ↑ Polt and aLive to MLG Orlando
- ↑ Polt leaves TSL ,22nd December 2012, TeamLiquid.net
- ↑ gomtv.net
- ↑ CM Storm Sponsors Polt, 12th March 2013, TeamLiquid.net
- ↑ Polt recognized as Athlete by the US government, 9th January 2014, TeamLiquid.net
- ↑ Revolt for Polt! iBUYPOWER Announces Partnership
- ↑ IEM Season VIII - Cologne: ReDeYe dubs Polt "Sir Polt of Terran" YouTube (originally aired on ESL)
- ↑ I make six figures playing video games Erica Fink, 13 August 2014. CNN