From Liquipedia Starcraft 2 Wiki
This article is for the Multiplayer version of this unit, for the Wings of Liberty Single Player version see: Marauder (Wings of Liberty Campaign).
|Description||Heavy assault infantry.|
|Cost||100 25 30 2|
|Defense||125 1 (+1)|
Produced from a Barracks with a Tech Lab, the primary damage dealing unit against other armored units such as the Roach or the Stalker. Most often will stand behind Marines because of their 6 range, but will want to tank splash hits from Banelings and Colossi by being moved to the front.
In the early game and when the enemy army is retreating, Marauders with Concussive Shells researched can pick off units from groups of enemies running away.
Marauders are extremely effective in groups, especially when paired up with support units such as Marines and Medivacs; known as the ever popular MMM or Terran Bio. This unit stands to target down the larger ground enemies and buildings faster than Marines can, and though the targets are different, are micro'ed and worth about the same as Marines.
These upgrades are researched at the Barracks' Tech Lab.
 Competitive Usage
With the Concussive Shells upgrade, Marauders can kite many non-massive units with ease. This makes them highly effective against early- and mid-game compositions from any of the three races, and allows them to retreat fairly easily, as no concussed unit is faster than a Marauder with Stimpack. Combined with their bonus against Armored units and considerable health, they are generally the backbone of a Terran biological army.
 Vs. Protoss
The Marauder is one of the key components of the commonly used Biological unit composition that has proved effective. The Marauder's extra damage against Armored units makes it effective against Stalkers and Colossi. Additionally, the Concussive Shells of the Marauder will prevent any retreating Protoss army of getting very far, allowing the Terran player to hunt them down if they have enough forces to do so. Approaching Zealots without their Charge ability can be kited with the additional help of Stimpack. Marauders can be even more effective when their attack bonus is combined with the benefits of a Ghost's EMP. However, massed Chargelots can kill pure Marauder blobs effectively even if EMP is employed, with the usual support coming in form of the High Templars' Psi Storms or Colossi with Extended Thermal Lances.
 Vs. Terran
While the TvT playstyles currently favors heavy Mech usage, Marauders retain their value for several reasons:
- Prior to the switch into Factory tech, a Terran player typically will have 2 Barracks up already. Marauders can continually be produced from these to maximize unit production.
- Marauders are cheap - at only 100/25/2, they are a very "lean" unit compared to the more (gas-)expensive and supply-consuming Siege Tanks and Thors.
- Marauders do +10 damage against Armored units. Combined with effective Stimpack usage, they have almost the same DPS against armored units as Siege Tanks. Consider that supply-wise you can have 3 Marauders for every 2 Tanks, this advantage is escalated.
- At 125HP, each Marauder can soak up 3 shots from a Tank's siege cannon. They also move faster than any Mech unit, allowing them to establish superior concaves on grouped Tanks.
- Marauder slow is effective against Hellions. Having one or two marauders in a clump of marines can negate the kiting which Hellions can do.
 Vs. Zerg
Against a heavy Roach army the Marauder, when supported with Marines and Medivacs, is a very effective choice thanks to its Armored attack bonus and high durability. Marauders are also used to take damage from Banelings in place of the more vulnerable Marines. Pure Marauders will fall to swarms of Zerglings though, so it is important to keep them supported by Marine and Hellion lines in order prevent your Marauders from being quickly surrounded. However, the Marauder is used less frequently against Zerg compared to Marines due to the fact that they are about useless once Zerg reaches a critical amount of Mutalisks, and that Marines start doing decent damage against Roaches in large numbers and with Siege Tank support.
Marauder's quotes (video and sound) - YouTube video.
 Patch Changes
|Patch 8 (version 0.10.0.14803)|
|Patch 9 (version 0.11.0.15097)|
|Patch 13 (version 0.15.0.15449)|