From Liquipedia Starcraft 2 Wiki
|Romanized Name:||Mun Seong Won|
|Birth:||October 29, 1988|
|Alternate IDs:||SlayerSCchapSeungEu, Jjob, M, Dream.t)1988, Na[Shield], Always|
|WCS Rank (Points):||#43 (250 points)|
2008-10 – 2009-10
2010-11-30 – 2012-11-03
2012-11-20 – Present
To read about MMA's StarCraft: Brood War career, see 1988.
Mun "MMA" Seong Won is a Terran player from South Korea, who is currently playing for Team Acer.
MMA was born and raised in Incheon, South Korea. When he was in elementary school, he was introduced to the original StarCraft, which would become his passion and would later lead him to become a progamer. At first, he wanted to be a soldier, but due to a knee injury he had to be discharged from the army. MMA played as a Terran on SK Telecom T1 from 2008 under the id "Dream.t)1988", although he did not play very many games.
 Wings of Liberty
MMA was the first of the new recruits for BoxeR's SlayerS team, whom he knew through his old team SK Telecom T1.
He has found success in team leagues such as Zotac and GSTL, where he has been a pivotal force in SlayerS's lineup, and is often utilized as an Ace player. In the premiere GSTL February, MMA almost performed a reverse all-kill, taking down 3 opponents from ZeNEX when his team was down 0-3. In the GSTL March, MMA has been very successful, defeating players such as MC and July on SlayerS' path to the finals. He defeated Mvp in the championship match, earning his team the GSTL title and himself the Most Valuable Player Gold Card for his performance. The following GSTL in May, MMA was once again used as the primary Ace player of SlayerS. He helped stage a comeback against fOu in the semifinals and was chosen as the last player to face MvP in the finals where he took out DongRaeGu in the deciding game to earn SlayerS a repeat victory, as well as a repeat MVP Gold Card for himself.
MMA's greatest individual success in Korea has been his run through the GSL Super Tournament. He managed to draw only Terran opponents, including two of his teammates, GanZi and Ryung. With the exception of those two, his other series were fairly close, particularly a comeback from a two game deficit against MarineKing in the semifinals to advance 3-2. Although MMA was the heavy favorite going into the finals, he would subsequently be swept by Polt 4-0.
MMA's next notable finish in Korea would be in the Arena of Legends 1. He dominated his group, winning 2-0 against both NesTea and MC to advance to the round of 4. There, he lost 0-3 to MarineKing, therefore placing third.
MMA would be able to play in the Blizzard Cup due to the fact that Mvp qualified three times, so MMA got a spot by virtue of his 4th place position in the GSL Player Rankings. In the group stages, MMA would tie for first in his group with a score of 3-1, only dropping a game to Polt. He would later get his revenge though, beating Polt and Leenock in the tie breakers to secure first place in his group. In the bracket play, MMA would 3-0 Mvp to face DongRaeGu in the finals. MMA was up 3-0 against DongRaeGu before DongRaeGu started to make a comeback, evening the score 3-3. MMA however would not falter in the ace game and end up winning the tournament, 4-3.
 Code A
MMA's first Code A qualification, was for GSL March. He eliminated the foreigner Ret 2-0 to advance to the Round of 16. There he was defeated by Killer 1-2. In the subsequent Code A tournament, he quickly took out TopClass and Hyperdub making it to the Round of 8 before falling to Bomber. Entering the Round of 8 was enough to allow MMA to play in the up/down matches where he was defeated by MarineKing 1-2, and HuK 0-2, keeping him in Code A. The following season he was knocked out entirely by falling 0-2 in the first round to Puzzle.
MMA wouldn't return to Code A until 2012 GSL Season 2, falling third in his group and landing in the Ro32 where he would face Line and defeat him 2-0 to advance into the Ro24, meeting KeeN but losing to him 1-2, falling just close to a granted Code S spot, he played in the Up and Down matches, but couldn't win a game and lost 0-3, staying in Code A for the next season.
In the third 2012 GSL MMA would start in Code A vs HongUn, making this HongUn's last match from Code A before retiring , MMA would advance 2-0 and face HerO, few days before the match MMA would enter a controversial fight with SlayerS and would be demoted to the B-Team  just a few days before his match, nonetheless MMA would take a smooth 2-0 win over the Protoss player and continue his Code A run, advancing to the Ro24 where he will play vs viOLet.
 Code S
During MMA's first Code S season in GSL August after being seeded through MLG, he 2-0'd his group, ending NesTea's undefeated GSL streak. He faced off against Polt in the Round of 16 in a rematch of the Super Tournament final, but lost to the Prime Terran once again, although this time in a close series which ended 1-2 in Polt's favor.
The next season, MMA chose NesTea for his group, not having many choices left. This time, NesTea defeated MMA, but MMA was still able to make it out of his group 2-1, by beating NaDa and KeeN. He defeated asd in Ro16 and followed it up with a 3-2 win over Clide in a hard fought series in the Ro8. In the Semifinals he went up against the IM Terran Happy defeating him 3-1. The finals were held at the BlizzCon, where he would face off against Mvp, the reigning champion, and defeat him 4-1 to win his first GSL title.
During the Group Selection for GSL November, MMA made some controversy when he picked his teammate YugiOh and criticized him. In addition to YugiOh, his group contained another teammate, Ryung, and one of the five Protoss players in Code S, MC. MMA would advance with ease, beating YugiOh and MC to place first in the group. In the Round of 16, he was in Group A with NesTea, HuK, and Leenock. There he convincingly defeated NesTea then Leenock to advance onto the Round of 8.
In the first season of 2012 Round of 32, MMA would sweep his group with 2-0's against GuMiho and Zenio. The Round of 16 group stage went a lot closer than the previous round. With two close wins against Oz and a loss against teammate Puzzle, MMA was still be able to advance to the next round. MMA would go on to meet aLive in the RO8, where he lost 1-3. Because he made it to the RO8, he would be qualified for next season's Code S.
 IGN ProLeague
 IPL Season 3
From September 10th to September 11th, 2011, MMA participated in the IPL Season 3 Qualifier 3. MMA started off from the Round of 64. MMA defeated Volta, Artist, Heart, Min, and July , in order to advance in to the finals to face Stephano. He wasn't able to defeat Stephano and ended up taking second place after losing by a score of 1-2.
From October 6th to October 9th, 2011, MMA participated in the IGN ProLeague Season 3. IPL 3 started off with a Pools play. MMA started off in Pool D with White-Ra, TheStC, and IdrA. MMA advanced out of his pool with a score of 1-2 in to the championship bracket. In the championship bracket, MMA took down Sheth, Sleep, and PuMa, in order to advance in to the semifinals to face Lucky. He wasn't able to defeat Lucky and lost to him by a score of 0-3.
 Outside Korea
MMA was announced in May 2011, to be one of the first four South Korean invites chosen to participate in the GSL-MLG Exchange Program. He participated in MLG Columbus 2011 going undefeated in his group and defeated notables such as July, SjoW and IdrA. MMA would face off LosirA in the winners final, beating him 2-1 in a best of 3 series. He would meet LosirA once again in the grand final after LosirA climbed up beating MC in the lower winners final. MMA defeated him 2-0 in a best of 3 series, claiming the first place.
He was invited to return to MLG Anaheim 2011 along with his mentor BoxeR to defend his MLG title. MMA placed second in his group, losing only to Rain, and then made his way through the Loser's Bracket in the Championship Bracket going through SLush, NaNiwa and DongRaeGu before ultimately team killing GanZi and BoxeR to make it to the finals to face Mvp. In the finals, he ended up losing 2-1 in the first best of 3, therefore coming in second. Because Mvp already had Code S status, MMA would be offered and receive it instead through the MLG - GSL exchange program.
Due to his high placing in two MLG, MMA got enough points to be one of the top four seeded players at MLG Providence 2011. However, he lost to his rival DongRaeGu 0-2 in the Championship Bracket winners' bracket and was eliminated from the tournament by Leenock losing 1-2, finishing 9th overall.
He was one of the invited players from Korea for IEM Season VI Kiev and got seeded in Group C. He took the group's first place by beating HasuObs 2-1, Pomi 2-0 and TargA 2-1. He beat Feast 3-1 in the quarterfinals and Zenio 3-0 in the semifinals. His opponent in the finals was DIMAGA, who he defeated 3-1.
Because of his first place finish at Kiev, he was invited to play in the World Championship. Placed in group A, he would go 5-0 in his group, defeating viOLet, JYP, Socke, KiLLeR, and Strelok all 2-0. Because of his strong finish in group stage, he would be seeded into the quarterfinals, where he defeated Zenio 3-0. However, in the semifinals he would lose to PuMa 1-3. He would then defeat Feast in the 3rd place match, earning him 3rd place in the tournament.
He was one of the invited players in Iron Squid – Chapter I, where he took the first place in his group with a score of 3-1, defeating Life 2-1, jjakji 2-0, losing to MaNa 1-2 and getting a win over Stephano who forfeited his match. In the bracket play, he defeated PuMa 3-1 in the quarterfinals, then aLive 3-2 in the semifinals, earning a place in the finals, where he defeated Symbol 4-2.
- Accidentally destroyed one of his own Command Centers during a game against IdrA at 2011 MLG Colombus. He then proceeded with a bit of desperation attack and won due to IdrA rage-quitting - much to MMA's surprise.
- Was dubbed the "Legend Killer" by Tastosis when he first arrived on the scene after his victories over Mvp and other notable players in clutch team league matches.
- MMA does not like his South Korean nickname, Military Terran. (MMA stands for Military Manpower Administration in Korean).
- Faced only Terran players throughout the GSL Super Tournament.
- Was featured in Gom's "Behind the Booth" mini-documentary series.
- Ended both Mvp's 15-0 GSL/GSTL TvT win-streak in the GSTL 2 Finals and NesTea's 20-0 GSL Code S win-streak in GSL August 2011.
- Has played Mvp four times in championship series, with each player winning two and MMA leading 10-8 in sets.
- He was the first player to make it to two consecutive MLG finals.
- Ranked 2nd on the Liquipedia list of Accomplishments in Premier Tournaments behind Mvp.
- According to Unofficial World Champion concept, MMA was World Champion for 83 days, total - more than anybody else.
- MMA is the first person to achieve the Triple Crown.
|In Premier Tournaments|
|2012-05-05||1st||Iron Squid – Chapter I||4 : 2||Symbol||$12,500|
|2012-04-08||4th||IGN ProLeague Season 4||0 : 2||Squirtle||$5,000|
|2012-03-10||3rd||IEM Season VI - World Championship||3 : 0||Feast||$9,000|
|2012-01-22||1st||IEM Season VI - Global Challenge Kiev||3 : 1||DIMAGA||$6,500|
|2011-12-17||1st||2011 Blizzard Cup||4 : 3||DongRaeGu||$33,650|
|2011-10-22||1st||2011 GSL October - Code S||4 : 1||Mvp||$46,000|
|2011-10-09||3rd||IGN ProLeague Season 3||0 : 3||Lucky||$7,000|
|2011-07-31||2nd||MLG Anaheim 2011||1 : 2||Mvp||$3,000|
|2011-06-18||2nd||2011 GSL Super Tournament||0 : 4||Polt||$28,000|
|2011-06-05||1st||MLG Columbus 2011||4 : 1||LosirA||$5,000|
|In Major Tournaments|
|2013-03-29||4th||2013 Ritmix Russian StarCraft II League Season 4||1 : 3||LoWeLy||$500|
|2012-07-07||3rd||IPL Fight Club at Hot Import Nights||2 : 3||DongRaeGu||$1,500|
|2011-10-22||2nd||2011 MLG Korean Invitational||2 : 4||Mvp||$1,000|
|2011-10-01||3rd||Arena of Legends 1||0 : 3||MarineKing||$450|
|2011-09-29||1st||GeForce Pro/Am||3 : 1||Mvp||$4,725|
To see MMA's full GSL standings, see MMA GSL Results
|MLG Pro Circuit Champion|
| MLG 2011 Dallas
| MLG 2011 Columbus
5 June 2011 – 1 August 2011
| MLG 2011 Anaheim|
|Global Starcraft II League Champion|
| GSL August 2011
| GSL October 2011
21 October 2011 – 3 December 2011
| GSL November 2011|
|Blizzard Cup Champion|
| 2011 GSL Blizzard Cup
17 December 2011 – 22 December 2012
| 2012 GSL Blizzard Cup|
|Intel Extreme Masters|
| Season VI - New York
| Season VI - Kiev
23 January 2012 – 11 February 2012
| Season VI - Sao Paulo|
| Iron Squid - Chapter I
5 May 2012 – 26 January 2013
| Iron Squid - Chapter II|
- 2013-03-25 | 2013 GSTL Season 1 Group Stage MVP vs Axiom-Acer Winner by This Is Game
- 2013-01-03 | The AfterSquid in the Slayer's House - EP1 - MMA's Legend by Iron Squid (trans. )
- 2013-01-03 | The AfterSquid in the Slayer's House - EP1 - Georges coached by MMA by Iron Squid (trans. )
- 2013-01-03 | The AfterSquid in the Slayer's House - EP1 - Wings of MMA by Iron Squid (trans. )
- 2012-12-20 | Subtitled interview with MMA on day 2 of HSC VI by Thorin of Team Acer at HomeStory Cup VI (trans. )
- 2012-12-02 | Subtitled interview with MMA after IPL by Thorin of Team Acer at IPL 5 (trans. )
- 2012-11-21 | MMA on joining Acer and Fred Gau by This Is Game
- 2012-07-26 | GSL 2012 Season 3 Code A Ro24 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-07-18 | GSL 2012 Season 3 Code A Ro32 Day 2 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-05-31 | StarsWars7 Korean Qualifiers Winner by s.163.com
- 2012-02-03 | GSL 2012 Season 1 Code S RO16 Group B Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-02-02 | SK Gaming 1 on 1 interview by SK Gaming (trans. )
- 2012-01-27 | GSTL 2012 Season 1 SlayerS vs FXO Group A Winner by This Is Game
- 2012-01-17 | GSL 2012 Season 1 Code A Ro32 Group E Winners by This Is Game
- 2011-12-17 | ESPORTS Magazine Interviews BlizzCup Winner by ESPORTS Magazine
- 2011-12-15 | SlayerS MMA before the Blizzard Cup Finals by Cyber Sports Network (trans. )
- 2011-10-24 | Interview with Code S Winner by This Is Game
- 2011-10-23 | Interview with MMA, Code S champion by MLG (trans. )
- 2011-07-27 | Road to Anaheim by Milkis of Teamliquid.net
- 2011-07-02 | GOMTV Mini-Documentary about Super Tournament results (featuring BoxeR) by GOMTV (trans. )
- 2011-06-15 | GOMTV interview before Super Tournament Finals by GOMTV
- 2011-06-06 | Interview with MMA after winning MLG Columbus by HotBid of Teamliquid.net
- ↑ Razer MMA Feature
- ↑ Slayers disbands.
- ↑ MMA and Cella Join Acer. AcereSport.com, 20 November 2012.
- ↑ vs HongUn, HongUn's last GSL Game
- ↑ MMA demoted
- ↑ "Iron Squid Pool C : Stephano forfeits vs MMA". IronSquid.tv, 3 April 2012.
- ↑ GomTV interview held before the 2011 GSL Super Tournament Finals.
- ↑ Behind the Booth - MMA