13 (+4) (Defender)
"In order to combat clusters of aerial threats, the Dominion created the Liberator; a gunship-class vessel inspired by the old United Earth Directorate Valkyrie." This air superiority craft has an area of effect on it's air-to-to attack in "Fighter Mode", in this mode it is only slower than transportation units without their Speed Upgrades, Phoenix and Mutalisk; able to chase down any other target. Also having a transformation into "Defender Mode" (2 second delay between each Mode) with a powerful air-to-ground plasma cannon, cannot move during and has very high damage output.
The main difference between this unit and the similarly fashioned Siege Tank is that the Liberator must have it's range upgraded, unlocked by producing a Fusion core and researching Advanced Ballistics, but can also be produced from a Reactor; while the Tank is from a Factory with Tech Lab. Siege Tanks need defense from ground units via Bunkers and buildings to block the enemy from bum rushing into Tank fire, while Liberators use either Widow Mines for combined anti-air and ground or a few Missile Turrets/Vikings if the enemy has air units of their own.
Deploys into Defender Mode. In this mode, Liberators inflict single target damage to ground units. Liberators in this mode cannot move.
Reverts to Fighter Mode. In this mode, Liberators can move, but they can only target air units.
Adds +4 to casting range of the Defender Mode (from 5 to 9). The sight range of the Liberator in Defender Mode also increases by 4.
- As Widow Mines are cheap on Vespene Gas, these two units are a common combination.
- Can control choke points and air, but is too expensive and fragile to engage anti-air units without assistance.
- Versus Terran, this problem comes down to who has more Vikings and a possibly Raven's for Point Defence Drones to have air superiority. Liberators are less common in this TvT mirror match as a result.
- In combination with either Widow Mines, Vikings or Marines, for anti-air, can defend positions and reinforce harassing (Medivacs) or pressuring (Siege Tank) armies on the other side of the map.
- Can be used in a similar manner to Banshees and the Raven Autoturrets for harassment.
- Can out range Colossus, but Disruptors are the exact opposite.
- Opening with Marine, Widow Mine and Medivac can have the follow-up of Marauder, more Mines and Liberators to punish a greedy opponent while they have weak tech. Otherwise, it is recommended to continue Medivac harassment and work on upgrades for all the mentioned units.
- The hard counter to Colossus-heavy armies is Starport (1 & 2 both) Reactored for Vikings (on two bases); 2-4 Liberator production as a follow-up is possible on three base economy.
- Vikings on paper have every single advantage, except speed. Do not blindly produce Liberators in Terran versus Terran.
- Often used as a reinforcement for Siege Tank (1-2) pushes, keep enemy Viking numbers in mind.
Picture from the introduction of the Liberator
- Liberation is at hand.
- Reporting for action.
- Need something liberated?
- Incoming orders.
- Ah, commander.
- We have you onscreen.
- Yes, sir?
- Standing by.
- We read you.
- How can we help?
- Got freedom?
- This vessel is top of the line ya know, the pinnacle of Terran engineering. [SFX: Electronic alert] Ignore that noise... I don't know what that is.
- We come not as conquerors, but as liberators to return freedom to the people.
- [SFX: Missile firing] Here's some freedom for ya!. [SFX: 2x Missile firing] And here's some freedom for you! [SFX: Missile firing] Oh, and momma's got a WHOLE LOT of freedom for YOU! [SFX: Many missiles firing]
- If there's a piece of ground you want secure, my Liberator can handle it. Anywhere around it? You're kind of on you own.
- We've learned a lot about transforming vehicles since the Viking. Hell, I've only had one crewman snap his spine this week.
- Don't tell anyone, but I once piloted a Conservator. Yeah... But it was in college... so ya know... it doesn't count.
- I'm a strong believer in personal liberty. That every person has the liberty to do precisely as they are told, or be to put to death. [Maniacal laughter]
- Wow, Liberator to dictator in 5 seconds. That's gotta be some kind of record!
- By the way, freedom is NOT free, okay? Freedom costs a buck o' five! Everyone knows that!
- Of course.
- Flight plan is locked.
- As you say.
- Course set.
- Full speed.
- Moving into position.
- Unleash hell.
- It's liberation time!
- Fire all missile clusters!
- Target confirmed.
- Weapons free.
- With pleasure, commander.
- That one first.
- All hands to battlestations.
- We're returning fire.
| Patch 2.5.5 Balance Update #2
- Liberator's Defender Mode requires research again.
- Cost is 150/150.
- Research time is 79 seconds.
- Researched at Starport with Tech Lab
| Patch 2.5.5 Balance Update #6
- Starts with Defender Mode enabled.
- Defender Mode range decreased to 5.
- Defender Mode upgrade now increases its range by 4.
- Upgrade requirement changed to Fusion Core.
| Patch 3.3.0 Balance Update 
- Anti-air damage changed from 7 to 5 (+2 light)
| Patch 3.8.0 
- Remove the +light damage for the anti-air attack.
| Patch 3.10.1 
- Liberator Concord Cannon damage changed from 85 to 75.
- ↑ In the SC2 editor, the range of the Liberator in Defender mode is 15, and the Advanced Ballistics upgrade adds 3 to give 18 range. However, given the casting range, the actual maximum distance a Liberator can reach is theoretically 10 without the upgrade, and 14 with the upgrade.