13 (+4) (Defender)
The Liberator can switch between two Gunship roles called Defender Mode as a Stationary Siege unit, it's fast aerial Fighter Mode and is produced from a Starport. Both modes have a 2 second transformation time between them. In Fighter Mode, it fires two air-to-air missiles that deal 10 damage with a small area of effect. In the stationary Defender Mode firing on a targeted area deals high single-target damage against ground units but cannot fire at structures.
Harassment before production of Liberators will stop the enemy from gaining an air advantage (That is strong against the costly production of Starports in general). Liberators are extremely strong against opposing enemy siege units as none shoot up (except High Templar / Archons) and force the enemy, that needs to keep it's army together, from simply crashing and possibly overwhelming friendly units (also giving some room for friendlies to retreat).
Deploys into Defender Mode. In this mode, Liberators inflict single target damage to ground units. Liberators in this mode cannot move.
Reverts to Fighter Mode. In this mode, Liberators can move, but they can only target air units.
Adds +4 to casting range of the Defender Mode (from 5 to 9). The sight range of the Liberator in Defender Mode also increases by 4.
- Usually the end game goal of Mostly Marine compositions with enough Medivacs and the opponent has adjusted to Widow Mines that have a similar function to Liberators but lack the shear range.
- Can control choke points and air, but is too expensive and fragile to engage anti-air units without assistance.
- As the Factory is usually building Reactors or Tech Labs for other buildings, but can be used to produce a few Siege Tanks and the Starport for Medivacs. Liberators tend to be built later on after a decent number of Medivacs for harassment and healing are present.
- Versus Terran, this problem comes down to who has more Vikings and a possibly Raven's for Point Defence Drones to have air superiority. Liberators are less common in this TvT mirror match as a result.
- In combination with either Widow Mines or Marines can defend positions and reinforce harassing (Medivacs) or pressuring (Siege Tank) armies on the other side of the map.
- Can be used in a similar manner to Banshees and the Raven Autoturrets for harassment.
- Vikings on paper have every single advantage, except speed. Do not blindly produce Liberators in Terran versus Terran.
Picture from the introduction of the Liberator
- Liberation is at hand.
- Reporting for action.
- Need something liberated?
- Incoming orders.
- Ah, commander.
- We have you onscreen.
- Yes, sir?
- Standing by.
- We read you.
- How can we help?
- Got freedom?
- This vessel is top of the line ya know, the pinnacle of Terran engineering. [SFX: Electronic alert] Ignore that noise... I don't know what that is.
- We come not as conquerors, but as liberators to return freedom to the people.
- [SFX: Missile firing] Here's some freedom for ya!. [SFX: 2x Missile firing] And here's some freedom for you! [SFX: Missile firing] Oh, and momma's got a WHOLE LOT of freedom for YOU! [SFX: Many missiles firing]
- If there's a piece of ground you want secure, my Liberator can handle it. Anywhere around it? You're kind of on you own.
- We've learned a lot about transforming vehicles since the Viking. Hell, I've only had one crewman snap his spine this week.
- Don't tell anyone, but I once piloted a Conservator. Yeah... But it was in college... so ya know... it doesn't count.
- I'm a strong believer in personal liberty. That every person has the liberty to do precisely as they are told, or be to put to death. [Maniacal laughter]
- Wow, Liberator to dictator in 5 seconds. That's gotta be some kind of record!
- By the way, freedom is NOT free, okay? Freedom costs a buck o' five! Everyone knows that!
- Of course.
- Flight plan is locked.
- As you say.
- Course set.
- Full speed.
- Moving into position.
- Unleash hell.
- It's liberation time!
- Fire all missile clusters!
- Target confirmed.
- Weapons free.
- With pleasure, commander.
- That one first.
- All hands to battlestations.
- We're returning fire.
| Patch 2.5.5 Balance Update #2
- Liberator's Defender Mode requires research again.
- Cost is 150/150.
- Research time is 79 seconds.
- Researched at Starport with Tech Lab
| Patch 2.5.5 Balance Update #6
- Starts with Defender Mode enabled.
- Defender Mode range decreased to 5.
- Defender Mode upgrade now increases its range by 4.
- Upgrade requirement changed to Fusion Core.
| Patch 3.3.0 Balance Update 
- Anti-air damage changed from 7 to 5 (+2 light)
| Patch 3.8.0 
- Remove the +light damage for the anti-air attack.
| Patch 3.10.1 
- Liberator Concord Cannon damage changed from 85 to 75.
- ↑ In the SC2 editor, the range of the Liberator in Defender mode is 15, and the Advanced Ballistics upgrade adds 3 to give 18 range. However, given the casting range, the actual maximum distance a Liberator can reach is theoretically 10 without the upgrade, and 14 with the upgrade.