Legacy of the Void
Apple Mac OS X
Legacy of the Void is a stand-alone expansion for StarCraft II, announced as the third and final part of the StarCraft II trilogy of games (after Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm). It will feature an all new Protoss focused campaign, new multiplayer units, tweaks to existing units, new multiplayer maps, two new game modes (Archon Mode and Allied Commanders) and improvements to the Battle.net online service. The Beta was launched on March 31, 2015. The game was released on November 10, 2015.
New Multiplayer Units
as they played the first LotV game, ever (Archon Mode).
This page will give a quick overview. You can see all changes on a special page called "Legacy of the Void: All changes".
No new buildings for Protoss.
- Warp Prism
- Can now pick up units from a distance.
- Base damage reduced by 20%.
- Movement speed has been increased.
- Range vs ground units was reduced.
- The Release Interceptors ability is added.
No new buildings for Terran.
- Siege Tank
- Can now be picked up by an empty Medivac while sieged.
- The Tactical Jump ability is added.
- Swarm Host
- Can spawn Locusts while unburrowed.
- Must be activated manually.
- The cooldown is longer.
- An upgrade allows the Locusts to fly over terrain.
- Nydus Worm
- Does not take damage until it unburrows.
- No abilities were removed, but one was added: Parasitic Bomb
- Brood Lord
- Passive ability "Frenzied" was removed and range increased to 11.
The main focus of Brood War and StarCraft II in esports is 1v1. Blizzard established new features over the years to help casters and viewers alike. When planning a patch, Blizzard tries to satisfy pro-gamers and low-league players as well.
Before we begin, we’d like to send a shout-out to the highest level pro-gamers out there in Korea who are always looking to find new strategies, counters to those strategies, and doing all they can to find solutions to obstacles within the game. It is both inspiring and admirable to see top end players who work through significant adversity to adapt and find new strategies and tactics.David Kim, Forum us.battle.net
In order to introduce new players to the game, Blizzard came up with some new features for Multiplayer.
Battle.net will feature daily tournaments in which players from around the world will be able to participate. Note that entering a tournament will affect the Matchmaking Rating. You can play Campaign or do other things while waiting for an Automated Tournament
Archon Mode is a new game mode where two teams of two players face each other. Allies share the control over a single base.
The mode was showcased at BlizzCon 2014, during the 2014 WCS Global Finals. A small four-team single elimination tournament took place with players eliminated in the Round of 16 of the Global Finals. MC and HyuN, playing Terran, won the tournament without losing a map. (See also the full results.) Other tournaments during the beta have since been Archon Mode-centered such as 2015 Red Bull Battle Grounds: Washington, and two more showmatches are set for BlizzCon 2015. One includes champion Archons MC & HuK and Snute & TLO, and another one features Boxer and YellOw resuming their rivalry - joined by Incredible Miracle teammates Mvp and NesTea, who were very successful players during Wings of Liberty.
- Blizzard official trailer - StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - Oblivion (Release: 2014-11-07)
- Blizzard official video - Legacy of the Void - Multiplayer Update: Protoss (Release: 2014-11-07)
- Blizzard official video - Legacy of the Void - Multiplayer Update: Terran (Release: 2014-11-07)
- Blizzard official video - Legacy of the Void - Multiplayer Update: Zerg (Release: 2014-11-07)
- Blizzard official video - Legacy of the Void - Closed Beta (Release: 2015-03-18)
- Blizzard official video - Legacy of the Void - Introducing the Liberator (Release: 2015-05-27)
- Blizzard official video - Legacy of the Void - Allied Commanders Preview (Release: 2015-08-05)
- Blizzard official video - Legacy of the Void - Co-op Missions Preview (Release: 2015-10-30)
- Legacy of the Void Beta Preview on Battle.net (Release: 2015-03-18)
- JaKaTaK shows all new and updated LotV units (Release: 2014-11-26)
- NeoBlade shows all new units and real fights in LotV (Release: 2015-05-02)
- Legacy of the Void Beta: Balance Update Preview - May 11 (Release: 2015-05-11)
- LowKo created a "Liberator Spotlight" video (Release: 2015-05-28)
- Blizzard Entertainment (31 March 2015). "StarCraft II Legacy of the Void Beta Patch 1.0 Notes". Battle.net. Retrieved 31 March 2015.
- Blizzard Entertainment (13 September 2015). "Legacy of the Void Launches 11/10 - Watch the Cinematic now!". Battle.net. Retrieved 13 September 2015.
- Stardust + jjakji vs. MinC + Hyun (ZvT) - Match 1 - BlizzCon Exhibition StarCraft 2
- Legacy of the Void: Multiplayer Development Update – February 12, 2015