- This article is for the Wings of Liberty multiplayer version. For the Legacy of the Void version, see Factory (Legacy of the Void). For the Heart of the Swarm version, see Factory (Heart of the Swarm).
The Factory is one of the advanced Terran tech buildings that allows Terran to build Hellions, Siege Tanks, and Thors. The Factory requires a Barracks before it can be built. The Factory can be lifted off and landed elsewhere after it has been constructed.
A Factory is also required before you are able to build a Starport, thus it is a key step in the Terran Tech Tree. It is also required to build a Nuke or research Nitro Packs.
If you choose to go for a mechanical unit mix towards mid/endgame, then you'll need to build a few Factories to churn out the mechanical units.
Alternatively, if you choose to go for a primarily Bio-based army the Factory can be used as a scout. The Starport is built as soon the Factory is finished and the Factory is Lifted from the ground and flown in the direction of the enemies base. Since the Starport tech has already started there is no downside to losing the Factory if you are not using its units for your composition. Also, the Factory has a large number of Hitpoints and 1 armor meaning it can withstand a large degree of punishment from enemy units while scouting. A side effect of using this Factory for scouting is that the Factory is landed inside the enemies base and Hellions can be produced and used for extras scouting or harassment. Again, due to the Factory's hitpoints, in the early stages of the game it can get Hellions onto the field even if the Factory is being attacked. Dustin Browder in an interview with Team Liquid, mentioned that this was not an intended usage of the Factory.
The Factory is one of the key parts in the 1/1/1 build. Another successful build is a Factory opener with Hellion harass.
- A Factory can build two types of Add-ons.
- Without any add-ons, the Factory can produce a single Hellion at any one time.
| Patch 2 (version 0.4.0.14133)
- The build time was decreased from 65 to 60.
| Patch 6 (version 0.8.0.14593)
- Cost decreased from 200 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas to 150 Minerals and 100 Vespene Gas.