The Cyclone is a fast hit-and-away vehicle produced from the Factory. Has a high spell damage ability (Ignores Armor completely) called Lock-On that is ideal against aerial, high health and/or slower moving targets. In the early game this unit is often seen defending alongside Missile Turrets and Marines, and later on raiding undefended opposing mining workers and bases with Hellions.
Locks the Cyclone's weapons on the target air unit, dealing 160 damage over 14 seconds to Flying targets. Can move while firing. Cancels if target moves out of range or vision.
To use the Lock On ability, a Cyclone must move within 7 range of a target. Once Lock On is activated, a Cyclone can move away from the target for up to 15 range while still maintaining effect. Lock On lasts for 14 seconds after activation, but the effect is broken if target moves out of vision or exceeds the maximum 15 range.
Lock On is an ability and therefore ignores the armor of a targeted unit. This is important to note against high armor units like the Battlecruiser and the Carrier.
Rapid Fire Launchers
Improves the Lock On ability to fire the first 12 shots quickly.
- Against Banshee openings, this unit does not win in 1v1 fights and needs to be micro'd away to keep out of the Banshee's firing range.
- Against early Marines + Siege Tank pushes common in this mirror match, Cyclones do little except spot the attack coming across the map. Mass Hellions to kill the Marines (leaving the Tanks defenseless) is far more useful.
- Systems go. Cyclone ready for action.
- Optics online. Let's go kill something.
- You got coordinates or what?
- Comm's open.
- This ought to be good.
- Show me who you wanna die.
- Got a target in mind?
- Cyclone receiving.
- Channels clear, boss.
- It's a cyclone... not a cyclops, alright? I don't care that it has one eye!
- Oh, this will drive circles around a Diamondback. I guarantee it.
- Uh... I'm kinda out of jokes, man. I'm not really a jokey kind of guy.
- Gonna just keep poking me anyway, huh? Look, we get back to fighting? I'm actually good at that!
- How about I make this really simple. You point them out, then I risk my neck by driving right up to them. Then, get this, I kill them! Sound good?
- Okay, so this is you, "Hey, Cyclone. What you're doing?"" Then I'm like, "Nothing, I just want to go kill things!"
- "Well how 'bout we have a nice long talk instead?" "Gee, I dunno, boss. That sounds pretty awful. Maybe we could just stop this whole thing and get back to shooting stuff!"
- "No, I'm just going to keep on doing it. Blah bla-blah bla-blah. Poke poke poke!"
- [sigh] (to self) Don't let 'em get to you, man... just pushing your buttons.
- Will you quit doing that!?!
- Moving into position.
- Nothing'll stop me.
- I get you.
- Cyclone en route.
- In gear.
- Oh, I'll get there.
- Adjusting for new coordinates.
- Target locked.
- Annnd, here... we... go.
- I'm going in.
- Oh yeah, I see them.
- Let's stir up some trouble.
- Typhoon missiles locked.
- Say goodnight.
- This one's going down.
- Taking some fire here.
- Enemy contact.
| Balance Update #1
- Lock-on range down from 15 to 12.
- Range upgrade now increases lock-on range up to 15.
| Patch 2.5.5 Balance Update #4
- Cyclone movement speed increased to 4.72 from 3.94.
| Patch 2.5.5 Balance Update #5
- Health reduced to 120 from 160.
- Lock-On now deals 400 damage over 20 seconds against both ground and air.
- Lock-On upgrade increases the damage against armored units by 400 against both ground and air.
| Patch 3.3.0 Balance Update 
- Cost reduced from 150/150 to 150/100
- Supply cost increased from 3 to 4
| Patch 3.8.0 
- The anti-ground weapon has been heavily changed.
- Damage changed from 18 to 3 (+2 vs armored).
- Range decreased from 5 to 4, and the new "Mag-Field Launchers" upgrade gives +2 range.
- Attack period change from .7 seconds to .1 seconds and random delays removed.
- Weapon upgrade amount changed from 2 to 1 to account for the new damage value.
- Changed weapon name to Tornado Blaster.
- No anti-air weapon.
- Movement speed decreased from 4.72 to 4.13.
- Lock On can now target air units and air structures only. Range is unchanged, and the ability now deals 160 damage over 14 seconds.
- Removed auto-cast for the Lock On ability.
- Supply cost decreased from 4 to 3.
- Increased health from 120 to 180.
- The Cyclone no longer requires a Tech Lab, and can now be built with a Reactor.
- The Cyclone auto-attack missile art has been adjusted to reduce visual clutter.
- The missiles fired from the Lock On ability are unchanged.
- Removed the Cyclone Lock On Damage upgrade from the Factory Tech Lab.
| Patch 3.8.0 Balance Update 
- Anti-ground weapon range increased from 4 to 6.
- Anti-grounds weapon minimum scan range updated to 6.5
- "Mag-Field Launchers" upgrade removed.
| Patch 4.0.0 
- First four shots will fire quickly for the Cyclone's Lock On ability.
- New upgrade "Rapid Fire Launchers":
- Research from Factory Tech Lab
- Cost: 150 Minerals / 150 Vespene Gas / 79 seconds.
- Increases the attack speed of the first 12 shots of the Cyclone's Lock On ability.