|Bomber competing at the 2013 WCS Global Finals.|
|Romanized Name:||Choi Ji Sung|
|Birth:||January 16, 1988|
|Sponsor:|| Red Bull|
|Alternate IDs:||폭격기, 스타테일폭격기, ST_Bomber, NsP_Fancy, Ares|
|WCS Rank (Points):||#1 (6550 points)|
2010-??-?? - 2013-12-31
Choi "Bomber" Ji Sung is a Terran player from South Korea, currently playing for Red Bull.
- 1 Wings of Liberty
- 2 Heart of the Swarm
- 3 Trivia
- 4 Achievements
- 5 Championships
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Interviews
- 8 Articles
- 9 External links
- 10 References
Wings of Liberty
Bomber's first notable achievement came from playing in the YGosu tournament in December 2010. As one of the two representatives for StarTale, Bomber went 2-1 in group stage, defeating TaeJa and GSL champion MC. He defeated FruitDealer 2-1 in the quarterfinals and Hannibal 3-0 in the semifinals. Bomber then faced MC again in the finals, but lost in a close 3-4 series. Bomber was also one of the qualifiers for the Gainward tournament, going through a pool 768 participants in single-elimination to reach the Round of 32 group stages. He was eliminated by MarineKing in a best of 3.
Bomber has also been notable for his play in team events such as the Zotac Team Invitational/Season 2 in January 2011. He scored an all-kill against oGs, won the deciding two games in the finals against ZeNEX, and amassed a record of 11-2, second best that season. Bomber was defeated in the qualifiers for GSL March by Alicia.
Bomber made his debut in Code A during GSL May. He was able to defeat notable players such as MMA and Ryung before facing off against Mvp in the finals where he took the win, 4-2. For his Up & Down group, Bomber chose Terran players Lyn and Ensnare. He defeated Lyn 2-0, thus securing his spot in Code S.
Bomber's first run in Code S was in GSL July, where he took first place in Group H - defeating Kyrix and MC. He defeated the GSL Super Tournament champion Polt in the Ro16 but lost the next round to ByuN. Bomber showed incredibly dominant play in the first two games but strangely seemed to fall apart in the final three, allowing ByuN to take three games in a row and defeat Bomber 3-2.
In GSL October, he emerged second from his group, defeating Puzzle and MarineKing, but losing to Ryung. He played against Mvp in the Ro16, whom he had a positive win record against. However, Mvp ended up defeating Bomber 2-0.
During the GSL November Round of 32, Bomber was knocked down into Code A Round of 48 with his score of 0-2. His group consisted of the players: Happy, GuMiho, and DongRaeGu. Bomber would then climb into the Up and Down Matches and then dominate his group, going 4-0. This result earned him a spot in Code S for the 2012 GSL Season 1.
In the 2012 GSL Season 1, he lost to InCa and Curious and fell to Code A as last in his group. In the Ro 48 of Code A he was upset 2-1 by Heart and fell down to Code B for his first time since he entered Code A back in GSL May.
Bomber was one of the first four South Koreans to be invited to MLG Columbus as part of a new partnership between MLG and GSL. However, due to Visa related issues, he could not go and so he was replaced by MC. He later participated in DreamHack Summer 2011, where he made it out of the group stage and into the playoffs, where he was defeated by Moon but ended up beating July to secure third place. Since Bomber could not participate at MLG Columbus due to Visa issues, he was invited to MLG Raleigh as one of the South Korean participants from the GSL-MLG Exchange Program. There, Bomber managed to place first in his group going 5-0 and then defeated DongRaeGu and CoCa to reach the Grand Finals. After defeating CoCa once again 4-1 in an extended series, he emerged as the champion. Bomber was one of twelve participants at the first StarCraft II Red Bull lan on September 30 to October 2, 2011.
Like previous champions, MLG invited Bomber to MLG Orlando to try and defend his title. There, he placed first in his group, losing only to SaSe. He then went on to lose 2-1 to TheStC in the Winner's Semifinals and was eliminated 2-1 by IdrA in his next match - a long, incredibly close match - earning 6th place.
At the end of May 2012 Bomber traveled to Austin in Texas to compete in the Red Bull Battlegrounds. There was a lot of uncertainty concerning Bomber's play recently as he just lost in the GSL Season 3 Up & Downs a few days ago and was considered in a slump. Despite all this, Bomber made a commanding run through the pool play, defeating MC 2-1, Ostojiy 2-0 and HuK 2-0. The next day he defeated TaeJa 2-1 in the quarterfinals and crushed his teammate Squirtle 3-0 in the next round to reach the finals where he would face MC again. Bomber was unable to reiterate his performance of the pool play and was defeated by MC's Warp Prism play 2-4. In an interview during the tournament Bomber acknowledged being in a slump recently but stated that this period was now over.
IPL Season 4
On February 18, 2012, Bomber participated in the IPL 4 Online Qualifiers 1. Bomber started off from the round of 64 and defeated Artist, Terius, Choya, Sleep, LosirA and then advanced in to the finals to face Polt. He lost to Polt in the finals after losing by a score of 0-2 and ended up in second place. Bomber was still able to qualify for the IGN ProLeague Season 4 main event in April where finished first in his group after taking victories against IdrA, MMA and jjakji. He was then quickly eliminated from the tournament in the championship bracket after an 0-2 loss against Stephano in the quarterfinals dropped him into the losers bracket where he also suffered an 0-2 defeat at the hands of his teammate Squirtle.
IPL Season 5
With StarTale having finished as one of the top 4 teams at the IPL Team Arena Challenge 3, they were given IPL's approval to select Bomber to participate in the IGN ProLeague Season 5 main event on the weekend of November 29th through December 2nd, 2012. Despite being one of the many elite Koreans participating at the event, Bomber's progress through the winners bracket was short-lived, taking 2-0 victories against foreigners sLivko and Caliber before being defeated 1-2 by TheStC in the third round. With what initially appeared to be shaping up as an early tournament exit, Bomber collected himself in the losers bracket and went on a miraculous run that came in the form of victories against Sculp, San, Snute and Creator. This streak continued into the final bracket rounds that were populated almost exclusively by top class Korean Zerg players, with Bomber being one of only two Terran players left standing. In an era of Wings of Liberty where Zerg players were dominating the game, Bomber showcased an impressive 2-1 victory against DongRaeGu followed by a convincing 2-0 win over Symbol. Bomber advanced to face the only other remaining Terran in Polt who would end Bomber's tournament run by handing him a 1-2 defeat and sending him to a fourth place finish.
OnGameNet Star II League
2012 OSL Non-KeSPA Preliminaries
On July 2, 2012, Bomber participated in the 2012 OSL Non-KeSPA Preliminaries. Bomber received a BYE in rounds one and two and then took down Sting and Dark, then went on to faced MarineKing in the finals. He was not able to advance any further and had to take 2nd place after he lost to MarineKing by a score of 1-2.
Heart of the Swarm
Bomber was seeded into the 2013 MLG Winter Championship on the strength of his 3rd-4th place finish at the 2012 MLG Fall Championship. In the Round of 32, he played a memorable series against Goswser, where in Game 2 Bomber recovered from a large deficit by using, for the first time in a major tournament, a maneuver where he used several Seeker Missiles on his own Medivac and then used Ignite Afterburners to move that Medivac over Goswser's deathball army, destroying much of it at once with the splash damage. He then proceeded to lose an epic Game 3 that lasted an hour and 20 minutes and featured Bomber at one point accidentally nuking his own army. Notwithstanding that loss, Bomber won the series 3-1. He then defeated TaeJa 3-0 in the Round of 16 before himself losing 0-3 to MC in the quarterfinals.
With the advent of the WCS tournament system, Bomber continued to participate in WCS Korea. In the 2013 WCS Season 1 Korea GSL Round of 32, Bomber advanced, despite losing 1-2 to defending champion RorO, on the strength of two 2-1 victories over Creator. The Round of 16 went similarly: Bomber lost 0-2 to sOs in his first match, but defeated Shine (Lee Young Han) and TaeJa, each by a 2-0 score, to advance to the quarterfinals. His run through the tournament ended there, as he lost 1-3 to Symbol. He then was swept 0-3 by KangHo in the Korean Placement Matches, thus failing to qualify for the 2013 WCS Season 1 Finals.
His quarterfinals finish was, however, strong enough to seed him into 2013 WCS Season 2 Korea OSL, where he continued his pattern of advancing second in his group in the Round of 32, losing to Rain, but defeating Hurricane and KeeN. In the Round of 16, Bomber was an underdog after being seeded into an all-Terran group that included INnoVation and Flash, who were at the time generally considered the two strongest Terrans in the world. Defying expectations, Bomber defeated both of them 2-0, along with a 2-1 victory over Bbyong, to advance out of the group in first place. His hot streak continued with a 3-0 victory over First in the quarterfinals, but ended when he was again matched against Rain in the semifinals and lost by a score of 1-4.
His 3rd-4th place finish in the OSL qualified Bomber for the 2013 WCS Season 2 Finals. There, he dominated his group, advancing in first place with easy 2-0 victories over both Grubby and First. After a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Scarlett in the quarterfinals, Bomber was again matched up against TaeJa in the semifinals. Bomber expressed confidence prior to the match, noting that he was 5-0 against TaeJa in Heart of the Swarm. After winning the first two games, Bomber lost the next two to send the series to a decisive fifth game. Though he later admitted that he was worried about blowing his series lead coming into the game, Bomber prevailed in Game 5 through his trademark greedy macro play, earning a spot in the Grand Finals against Jaedong. Prior to the match, Bomber said he felt at somewhat of a disadvantage because Jaedong had the ability to watch Bomber's long series against Scarlett to study his TvZ builds, while Jaedong had not played a Terran thus far in the tournament and thus Bomber could not do the same. He needn't have worried: in the finals, Bomber again displayed dominant form, crushing his Zerg opponent 4-0 using a variety of builds, from standard "MMMM" play to cheesy bunker rushes to early mass marine timings, and became the champion of 2013 WCS Season 2 to claim his first major title in 2 years.
As the defending WCS Season champion, Bomber entered the 2013 WCS Season 3 Korea GSL as the favorite in his group. However, he ended up in third place in his group and could not proceed to the next round. He did, however, qualify for the 2013 WCS Global Finals as the 8th seed, where he fought past MMA and upset Soulkey before losing to eventual champion sOs.
After group-stage finishes at Red Bull Battle Grounds New York City and IEM Season VIII - Singapore, it was announced that he was stepping down from StarTale on good terms with the team on New Year's Eve. He explained that he wanted to explore more foreign tournaments and possibly be the playing coach of his own team with only one to two years left in his StarCraft career before his military service and also revealed that he would be switching to WCS America from the GSL.
- He achieved an all-kill in the Zotac Team Invitational, Season 2 against oGs, defeating notable players like MC and TOP.
- Was StarTale's highest ranking player in in-house matches.
- Well known for his in-game antics and taunts.[Citation needed]
- He achieved an all-kill in the GSL Team League against team HoSeo defeating notable players such as jjakji.
- Went skydiving during Red Bull LAN in Seattle, video, photos.
- Played in the tournament Trial of the Xel'Naga hosted by Red Bull and Day9.
- Rank number 1 in Teamliquid.net's September Power Rank 
- Defeated GSL observer Legend, also part of StarTale, in a one-set hair match on Antiga Shipyard during his GSL Off the Record appearance. As a reward, he got to shave Legend's head. (He did the shaving himself but only managed part of it on air since Legend has short but thick hair.) 
- Was the oldest player in to make the field at the 2013 WCS Global Finals.
- Against Goswser at the 2013 MLG Winter Championship, he used an empty Medivac as a target designator that extended the range of his Ravens' Seeker Missiles and allowed them to hit as many enemy units as possible, allowing him to repel Goswser's Ultralisk/Baneling/Zergling force.
- He is the 6th player to achieve Triple Crown - unlike all the rest, his Korean title is GSL Code A championship, much unlike the other Triple Crown winners, which commonly is perceived as less of an achievement (other Triple Crown winners won GSL Code S (Mvp, Life, MMA, MC), GSL Super Tournament (Polt) or 2011 GSL World Championship (Mvp, 2nd crown).
- Starred in one of Khaldor's videos showcasing his APM.
|In Premier Tournaments|
|2014-12-07||3 - 4th||IEM Season IX - San Jose||1 : 3||Rain||$2,000|
|2014-10-12||1st||2014 WCS Season 3 America||4 : 2||Heart||$25,000|
|2014-09-21||1st||2014 Red Bull Battle Grounds: Washington||4 : 0||Cure||$20,000|
|2014-07-13||1st||2014 Red Bull Battle Grounds: Atlanta||3 : 1||Polt||$8,000|
|2014-07-06||2nd||2014 WCS Season 2 America||3 : 4||Pigbaby||$15,000|
|2013-11-09||3 - 4th||2013 WCS Global Finals||1 : 3||sOs||$17,500|
|2013-08-25||1st||2013 WCS Season 2||4 : 0||Jaedong||$40,000|
|2013-08-01||3 - 4th||2013 WCS Season 2 Korea OSL||1 : 4||Rain||$7,000|
|2012-12-02||4th||IGN ProLeague Season 5||1 : 2||Polt||$7,000|
|2012-05-27||2nd||Red Bull Battlegrounds: Austin||2 : 4||MC||$8,000|
|2012-11-04||3 - 4th||2012 MLG Fall Championship||1 : 4||Leenock||$7,250|
|2011-08-28||1st||2011 MLG Raleigh||4 : 1||CoCa||$5,000|
|2011-06-20||3rd||DreamHack Summer 2011||2 : 0||July||$4,000|
|2011-05-06||1st||2011 GSL May - Code A||4 : 2||Mvp||$1,400|
|In Major Tournaments|
|2014-05-04||3rd||Lone Star Clash 3||3 : 1||viOLet||$1,800|
|2013-07-27||2nd||2013 Ritmix Russian StarCraft II League Season 5||2 : 4||Life||$2,000|
|2012-11-11||2nd||Lone Star Clash 2|| 3 : 2
1 : 2
|2012-11-11||4th||2012 Ritmix RSL Season 2||1 : 3||Leenock||$500|
|In Premier Team Leagues|
|2012-02-03||2012 GSTL Season 1||All Kill of New Star Hoseo|
|Bomber||Bel'Shir Beach Winter||Seal|
|Bomber||Calm Before the Storm||San|
|Complete Results in any Tournament|
|MLG Pro Circuit Champion|
| MLG 2011 Anaheim
| MLG 2011 Raleigh
28 August 2011 – 16 October 2011
| MLG 2011 Orlando|
|GSL Code A|
| 2011 GSL March Code A
| 2011 GSL May Code A
18 April 2011 – 30 July 2011
| 2011 GSL July Code A|
|StarCraft II World Championship Series Champion|
| 2013 WCS Season 1
| 2013 WCS Season 2
25 August 2013 – 27 October 2013
| 2013 WCS Season 3|
|Red Bull Battle Grounds Champion|
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: North America
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: Atlanta
13 July 2014 - 10 August 2014
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: Global|
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: Detroit
| Red Bull Battle Grounds: Washington
21 September 2014 - Present
|StarCraft II World Championship Series: America|
| 2014 WCS Season 2 America
| 2014 WCS Season 3 America
12 October 2014 - Present
- 2014-11-18 | Up Close & Personal: Smix, Polt, Bomber and Apollo by Meru of TeamLiquid ESPORTS
- 2013-11-05 | WCS KR Representatives, Pre-Blizzcon by This Is Game (trans. )
- 2013-08-29 | Bomber interviewed on Live on Three by Djwheat , Slasher , ReDeYe
- 2013-08-28 | WCS Season 2 Champion Bomber talks about his Big Win by Travis of GameSpot at 2013 WCS Season 2
- 2013-08-27 | 2013 WCS Season 2 Finals Grand Finals Winner by This Is Game at 2013 WCS Season 2
- 2013-07-26 | 2013 WCS Korea Season 2 Premier League Ro8 Winners by This Is Game at 2013 WCS Season 2 Korea OSL
- 2013-07-02 | Bomber begins WCS Korea Ro16: “If I play like I did today, it will be difficult to get to the round of 8.” by inven.co.kr
- 2013-04-05 | 2013 WCS Korea Season 1 Code S Ro32 Group A Winners by This Is Game
- 2013-02-20 | 2013 GSL Season 1 Code A Ro24 Day 1 Winners by This Is Game
- 2013-01-24 | 2013 GSL Season 1 Code S Ro32 Group C Winners by This Is Game
- 2013-01-09 | 2013 GSL Season 1 Up and Downs Group D Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-12-02 | Bomber talks about his run at the IPL 5 and Zerg Imbalance by Slasher of GameSpot.com at IPL 5
- 2012-11-21 | GSL Season 5 Code A Ro48 Day 3 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-10-02 | GSL Season 4 Code A Ro48 Day 3 Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-08-27 | GSL Season 4 Up/Downs Group A Winners by This Is Game
- 2012-02-04 | GSTL Season 1 NSH vs ST Group B Winner by This Is Game
- 2011-12-24 | GSL Season 1 Up/Down Group B Winners by This Is Game
- 2011-11-12 | Exclusive Interview With Newest Red Bull Sponsored Pro Gamer Choi "Bomber" Ji Sung by John Gaudiosi of Forbes.com
- 2011-09-07 | Korean Choi "Bomber" Ji Sung Discusses the Future of Pro Gaming in America by John Gaudiosi of Forbes.com
- ↑ Gainward LR Thread
- ↑ MLG/GSL Exchange Program
- ↑ ST.Bomber Misses his Flight
- ↑ ST.Bomber and IMMVP invited to MLG Raleigh
- ↑ Red Bull Lan
- ↑ Bomber, BoxeR to MLG Orlando via GSL LXP
- ↑ Bomber to leave StarTale at end of 2013 TeamLiquid.net
- ↑ Zotac Team Invitational Season 2 Team Liquid Forum Thread
- ↑ Up Close Gamers 'Ask StarTale!'
- ↑ Day9 announces Trial of the Xel Naga. TeamLiquid.net, 22 August 2012.
- ↑ 
- ↑ GSL Off the Record - Bomber Shaves Legend's Head YouTube (originally broadcast by GOMTV)
- ↑ MLG Dallas 2013 (Winter Championship) Round of 32 - Bomber Vs. Goswser - Game 2 (Whirlwind SE) MLG
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk-25x3WkeE