|This article is a stub. You can help Liquipedia by expanding it.|
To read about 8 Pool versus Protoss, see 8 Pool (vs. Protoss).
A Zerg Strategy which can be compared to a 9 Pool in StarCraft: Brood War. The goal of the strategy is much the same as a 6 pool but it is a bit safer and not as much of an all-in build. The build sacrifices an early economic opening (such as a Hatchery first build) for massed Zerglings and does not excel versus defensive or tech-heavy builds.
The goal of this build is to overwhelm a macro-heavy/greedy build such a Protoss' FFF with a critical mass of Zerglings. An early economic lead is sacrificed for a Spawning Pool at 8 supply and mass production of Zerglings.
 Build Order:
- Send Overlord to closest base to scout as soon as possible.
- 6/10 Drone
- 7/10 Drone
- 8/10 Spawning Pool
- 7/10 Drone
- 8/10 Drone
- 9/10 Overlord
- 9/10 Extractor (when to get the Extractor is still debatable and not necessarily needed if going without Metabolic Boost)
- 9/10 Send Drone scout to furthest base to scout.
- 15/16 Queen (send after 8+ Zerglings)
- When Overlord completes, build 3 sets of Zerglings. When Extractor completes put 3 workers on gas.
- Keep making Zerglings with available larvae. Make a Queen at 15 supply.
- Start taking workers off gas one by one as they return at 88 (92, 96, 100).
- Upgrade Metabolic Boost as soon as possible.
 Pro features
Maps with open naturals and short rush distances are optimal for this build. Zerglings must be able to reach bases before wall-ins and heavy T1 compositions arrive.
 Con features
Large maps or those with well-defended naturals are not optimal for this build. Large rush distances and choked-off bases will prevent favorable encounters for this build.