Taebaek Mountains (태백산맥) is a Starcraft: Brood War map created by [Ragnarok]Valkyrie. It was introduced in the Afreeca Starleague Season 1 and has not yet been used outside of this one tournament.
News of the map being selected for the ASL Season 1 was posted on TeamLiquid in May, 2016. Version 0.90 - initially called Taebaek Sanmaek by the foreign community - would go through several changes both before and during the tournament. Version 1.1 and 1.2 soon followed, with new weaknesses being identified as play continued. The final iterations (versions 1.9 and 2.1) were titled New Taebaek Mountains (신 태백산맥)(download link); version 2.1 would be used for the remainder of the tournament.
- I mean just look at it.
- Rampless choke - The main is on the same level as the natural, and the choke is larger than a ramp would be. This can make early game harassment more effective.
- Very open main which is vulnerable to drop harassment and cheese builds.
- Long rush distance, but short air distance led to early use of builds like 2 Base Carrier (vs. Terran).
- An awkward 3rd location further pushed some players towards 2-base play until a gas geyser was added to the corner expansion.
- Significant terrain updates:
- Main base expanded slightly
- Natural expansion was made significantly smaller
- The ramp to the walkway behind the main was relocated to the back of the natural expansion
- Gas geysers added to corner expansions
- Breakable temples added to protect the corner expansions
- Some mineral patches were adjusted
Map version images
|Sharp||The first TvP on Taebaek in a tournament setting. This game shows that from the first, Protoss players were eager to abuse the cliffs and flight distances with Carrier play.|
|Jaehoon||Jaehoon met Shuttle in the ASL Season 1 quarterfinals. Taebaek had already provided some wild games, but an actual in-base cheese build had not yet happened. Jaehoon came prepared with one here, and did his best Nal_rA impression.|