Byun "Iris" Hyung Tae is a former StarCraft progamer from South Korea who played Terran for Air Force ACE. He is also commonly referred to as Berserker. He currently plays in amateur leagues.
He played Terran in StarCraft II and was a coach for AZUBU.
Iris was the captain of his team CJ Entus. Iris was well known as one of the most aggressive Terran players in the professional scene, and was a prominent member of CJ's Terran line, being the only other Terran on their lineup besides his Teammate Skyhigh. Iris recently had a large upsurge in results, coming in 2nd in the GOMTV Classic Season 3 losing to Flash and reaching the semifinals of the Avalon MSL where he lost in a close series to teammate Kwanro.
Second Career Peak in 2009
During Mid 2009, Iris was having a 'Second Spring' after his 2007 Daum OSL run. He reached the final of the GOM Classic S3 tournament, which he lost 1-3 against Flash and qualified for the 2009 Avalon MSL Ro4 (against teammate Kwanro) after defeating Bisu with a score of 3-2. He also played a vital role in CJ Entus' Proleague success, where they placed 3rd overall.
After this peak, he started the 09-10 Proleague season, Iris finished round 1 with the disappointing stats of 0 wins and 3 losses. He was seeded into the 2009 Nate MSL but was knocked out his group 1-2 in the round of 32 after losing to Saint twice. In round two of Proleague Iris appeared rarely, once again taking a backseat to young Terran Skyhigh. In his two appearances, he scored 1 win and 1 loss to bring him to a 1-4 record going into Winner's league.
Post KeSPA Era
After retiring from Starcraft 2 Iris started playing in Brood War Tournaments and streaming on Afreeca. He played in the 8th SonicTV Starleague and the 11th SonicTV Starleague though he never managed to advance from the initial group stages dropping out in the Ro32 and Ro24 respectively.
In 2016 Iris advanced to the Ro24 of the Afreeca Starleague Season 2 after losing to Firebathero in the Seoul Qualifier by defeating PianO in the next qualifier which was held in Busan. His ASL 2 group included By.Maru, Mind and hero. After only winning against By.Maru but losing to hero and Mind Iris dropped out of his group in third place.
- Iris was known for having some of the best TvT of any player when he first became prominent, which included a 10-game winning streak vs Terran in early 2007.
- Iris was the 1st Terran to suffer a reverse-sweep (going up 2-0 and then losing the next 3 games) loss to a Zerg in a final when he lost to GGPlay in the 2007 Daum OSL.
The table shows Iris' overall record as of July 31, 2012:
|In Premier Tournaments|
|2009-08-20||3 - 4th||Avalon MSL||2 : 3||Kwanro||$4,025|
|2009-08-16||2nd||GOMTV Averatec Intel Classic Season 3||1 : 3||Flash||$13,710|
|2008-02-27||3 - 4th||GOMTV Star Invitational||0 : 3||Stork|
|2007-07-21||2nd||2007 Daum OSL||2 : 3||GGPlay||$16,100|
|2007-03-17||3 - 4th||2007 Shinhan OSL Masters||1 : 3||NaDa||$2,632|
|2007-02-21||3rd||2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 3||3 : 0||Casy||$6,440|
|In Major Tournaments|
|2007-08-04||3rd||2007 Blizzcon Invitational||1 : 2||Nal_rA||$2,500|
- vs. Canata on Neo Harmony, 2008-2009 Shinhan Bank Proleague, 2009-01-04
- Iris shows us that with clever dropship use, you don't actually need map control to win a game. He's in an advantageous position in this game for all of maybe 2 minutes, and is noticeably drained after.
- vs. Stork on Fantasy, 2007 Daum OnGameNet StarLeague Season 1 Semifinals, Game 3, 2007-07-06
- There's a reason why Iris is also known as Berserker, and this series is a good indicator. Stork was 21-3 in PvT for the year coming into this series, and the heavy favorite. Showing off his aggressive playstyle, Iris ends Stork's finals hopes in less than 45 minutes of StarCraft.
- vs. Bisu on Byzantium 3, 2009 Avalon MSL, 2009-08-04
- Tied 2-2 in a best of five, Bisu's build for this game would have been noteworthy enough, but the play which follows is nothing short of legendary.
- vs. Nal_rA, 2007 Blizzcon Invitational Semifinals, Game 2, Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3 (Pimpest Plays 2007)
- vs. sAviOr on Neo Arkanoid, 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 3 Semifinals, Game 5, 2007-02-16
- Considered one of the closest and highest level ZvTs of all time, and really highlights Iris' dropship-heavy TvZ play.
- vs. GGPlay on Python, 2007 Daum OnGameNet StarLeague Season 1 Finals, Game 1, 2007-07-21
- The entire series is recommended to showcase Iris in his prime vs Zerg.
- vs. Shine on Harmony, 2008-2009 Shinhan Bank Proleague, 2008-11-16
- Having lost his early marines to a zergling break and mutalisks about to descend upon his base, Iris builds a bunch of Firebats and sends them drone hunting.