Andromeda was introduced in the Shinhan08 Proleague in April 2008. It continued to stay in rotation for the rest of the year, finally being removed from all Starleagues and Proleague by the end of Winners League in late March 2009, making it one of the longest running maps in the history of professional StarCraft. It has 399 official games played on it over that period. Andromeda is a 4-player macro-style map with many expansions and a relatively open center. Although the map is known for slightly favoring Zerg, statistically it is one of the most balanced maps of its period with an average of 55% winning ratio of each of the considered easier match-ups (TvZ, PvT, and ZvP). The map's continued balance lead to it outlasting many other maps introduced at the same time as it, including Othello and Wuthering Heights.
Due to the 2 island expansions on the map and the free mineral-only expansion in the main base, Sair/Reaver was extremely popular on the map in PvZ. Strong ZvPing Zergs such as July, Luxury and Jaedong soon developed strong anti-sair-reaver builds on this map, namely the fast +1 air carapace mass Scourge and Mutalisk to maintain air superiority, eventually greatly changing the way the match-up was played.
Matchups other than ZvP generally played out quite standard on Andromeda, although rush strategies were less common due to the large distance between bases.
Andromeda is one of the five maps used in the 2009-10 PokerStrategy.com TSL.
- Protected Mineral Only - Located between the Main and Natural Expansion, most players opt to take this early. As a result, the early-game on this map is very defensive. It is also a popular place for Tanks, Dragoons and Lurkers to attack the workers.
- Middle Expansion - An odd place to place an expansion on a map of this type and is rarely used. Likely to be for aesthetic reasons.
- Neutral Building Cliffs - Have been used as spots for drops for all races and even hidden proxy spots to add flavor to the map.
- Minerals placement has been readjusted on starting area.
- Mineral expansion's location has been readjusted.
- Natural expansion's terrain has been slightly modified for SimCity purposes.
Strong Build Orders
Protoss vs. Protoss
Protoss vs. Zerg
|Stork||2008 Shinhan Bank Proleague: A very long PvZ in one of the 1st few months of the map's debut, when Sair-Reaver was still extremely powerful on the map.|
|Anytime||2008 EVER OnGameNet Starleague|
|Bisu||2008 Shinhan Bank Proleague: A very high-level PvZ between two of the best players at the time|
|Juni||2008 GomTV TG-Intel Classic Season 1: A TvZ that featured a unique proxy Nydus Canal from the Zerg.|
|JaeDong||2008 Shinhan Bank Proleague: A high-level TvZ that featured the rare use of Battlecruisers from the Terran.|