9 Pool Speed into 1 Hatch Spire (vs. Zerg)
This is an aggressive 1 Hatchery build that aims to get Mutalisks quickly while applying pressure with fast Speed-upgraded Zerglings. A common opening due to the evolution of modern ZvZ play, it is considered a relatively safe ZvZ build and can be effective against most enemy build order choices.
- 9 - Spawning Pool
- 8 - Drone
- 9 - Extractor
- 8 - Overlord
- 8 - Drone
- @100% Extractor - Put 3 Drones on Gas (See Gas Mining Technique)
- @100% Spawning Pool - 6 Zerglings
- @First 100 gas, research Zergling Speed (See Speed or Lair first)
- @Second 100 gas, start Lair upgrade (See Speed or Lair first)
- 16/17 - Overlord
- @100% Lair - Begin Spire construction
Build Order Clarification
Gas Mining Technique
When your Extractor finishes, send three Drones to mine Gas. When a Drone returns the Gas that brings your total to 88, send that Drone to mine Minerals, leaving two Drones on Gas. Research Zergling Speed immediately. When your remaining two Drones have gathered another 100 Gas, start your Lair and put a third Drone back on Gas.
Speed or Lair first
You have the option to go Speed or Lair first. This decision drastically changes how you should approach the game. This page describes the Speed first variant.
vs 9 Pool (Speed first)
- Match the enemy Zergling numbers while attempting to make an extra Drone when the situation allows for it.
- A possible option is to remain at the top of your ramp where inferior Zergling numbers can still win battles and make a Drone or two more than the opponent in order to climb ahead economically.
- In all above match-ups, the second Hatchery is built situationally; do not let your opponent have an extra Hatchery over you for too long, as the larva advantage he gains can become insurmountable.
vs 9 Pool (Lair first)
vs 12 Pool
- Conserve Zerglings; the enemy has a Drone advantage and suffers less of an economical loss rebuilding Zerglings.
- Make the best possible attempt at winning Zergling vs. Zergling fights, through either superior positioning or micromanagement.
- Transition into a harass-oriented playstyle in order to ameliorate your build deficit.
- Cautiously produce Drones when possible in order to strengthen your weaker economy.
vs 12 Hatch (at main or expansion)
- Rally your Hatchery to the enemy main.
- Constantly pump Zerglings.
- Target enemy Drones. Be careful; do not to lose Zerglings to stacked Drones.
- Optional: If the opponent makes the Hatchery at his natural and does not cancel it, send 1-2 Zerglings to attack it while the rest of your force attacks his mineral line.
vs 9/10 Hatch
- 9 gas 10 pool
- 9 gas 9 pool
- 12 Pool
- 12 Hatch
- 5 Pool
- Blue Storm
- Fantasy II
- Ramped maps where the opponent can hold their ramp with fewer Zerglings and limit your aggression