2009 Bacchus OSL
The 2009 Bacchus OSL held from May through August 2009.
It was the year Jaedong wins his third OnGameNet Starleague (OSL) title, thus earning the prestigious Golden Mouse and joining the ranks of NaDa and July. This OSL was also the first time since 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 3 where every team had at least one qualified player. Jaedong would indicate that the playoffs in mid to late August were an especially taxing period for him, such that he was largely unable to prepare for several of his matches. This was attributed to the first ever KeSPA "Free Agency" period from August 12-31, 2009, where professional players had opportunity to negotiate with another team, thus potentially discontinuing Jaedong's affiliation with Hwaseung Oz, his long-term team, with whom Jaedong and his parents were intensely negotiating. It is of note that the "Free Agency" terminology is very loosely used, with the terms for signing with a new team being highly restrictive, including requiring the player to have participated in a prescribed number of games over a prescribed period of time, and most importantly, being highly punitive in requiring the signing team to pay a 200% of salary recompensation fee to the player's former team. Despite Jaedong's preoccupation and lack of practice time, he would defeat YellOw(ArnC) 3-0 in the championship match, with news of Jaedong having resigned with Oz, after protracted negotiations, being announced a few days later.
The 2009 Bacchus OSL was the first OSL since the 2005 So1 OSL to feature Zerg as the most represented race, with 18 Zerg players participating.
₩108,000,000 (~$86,700) was awarded to the top finishers per the below:
*Converted prizes calculated on 2009-08-22 with a currency rate of 0.0008027 provided by http://www.xe.com/.
Additionally, fifth through eighth won ₩3,000,000 each and ninth through 16th won ₩2,000,000. The Round of 36 competitors also received smaller cash prizes for each victory. Information concerning further cash prizes for other top finishers is not readily available.
Seeded into Round of 36
||Canata, Casy, go.go, Light, Lomo, Miracle, RuBy, UpMagiC
||EffOrt, GoRush, HoGiL, hyvaa, Juni, Kwanro, RorO, Shine, s2, Thezerg, Type-b, ZerO
||BackHo, GuemChi, IrOn, Pure, Shuttle
Seeded into Round of 16
Fantasy, Hero, Jaedong, Bisu
- 24 groups of between seven to eight players played off in elimination brackets until a single player from each group advanced to Ro36.
- 24 players from the offline prelims and 12 players eliminated from the previous OSL were placed into 12 groups. Each group was composed of two players from the prelims and one player seeded from the previous OSL. The former were matched, and the winner met the seeded player for a chance to qualify to the Ro16.
- 12 players from the previous round joined the four players seeded from the previous OSL and were placed into four groups. Round robin group play where the top two advanced to the single-elimination and the last two were eliminated and going to the next ODT.
- Single-elimination best of three.
- Losers eliminated and going to the ODT.
- Single-elimination best of five.
- Single-elimination best of five.
Results: Group Stage
See also: Group Results Ro36 and Group Results Ro16.
Results: Elimination Bracket
- Opening 1
- Opening 2
- Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You
- Fighting With Wire - Everyone Needs a Nemesis
- The All-American Rejects - I wanna
- The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Senioritis