2008 Incruit OSL
The 2008 Incruit OSL was held from August through November, 2008.
The overriding storyline of the 2008 Incruit OSL was that of Stork, whose many second place finishes had cemented his reputation as a potential champion-level player who tended to choke at the finals.
To contemporaries, Stork's push to the finals was largely overlooked because of the array of S-class players, potential Royal Roaders, and fan favorites that had made it to the round of 16: Flash, Mind, Bisu, GGPlay, Fantasy, BeSt, and Sea. At the time, BeSt's re-appearance at the OnGameNet Starleague (OSL) garnered the most attention. His push to the finals of the 2008 EVER OSL along with his subsequent 0-3 loss to July left him seemingly hungry for a Starleague victory.
After his strong performance at the 2008 EVER OSL, BeSt was among the favorites. Other contenders at the 2008 Incruit OSL were Bisu, who was hunting for his first OSL gold, GGPlay, who had faded from prominence after his 2007 Daum OSL victory, and Flash, who was searching for his second OSL victory. The newcomers Thezerg and Fantasy sought to make a name for themselves in their first OSL.
The 2008 Incruit OSL is also notable because of series played between GGPlay and Fantasy, a series that profoundly influenced the way TvZ would be played in the future because of the innovative builds developed by Fantasy that introduced a new Mech strategy that caught veteran GGPlay off guard and sent Fantasy to the Finals.
₩72,000,000 (~$55,800) was awarded to the top finishers per the below: The total amount distributed was most likely just over ₩100,000,000, so as to be more in line with the purses from the neighboring OSLs. For example, the OSL that recently preceded the 2008 Incruit OSL, the 2007 EVER OSL, had a total prize pool of ₩104,000,000, while the 2009 Batoo OSL, which immediately followed the 2008 Incruit OSL, had a prize pool of ₩108,000,000. Nonetheless, from the available sources, only the below cash awards can be confirmed.
|Place||$ USD||₩ KRW||Player||Team|
|1st||$32,200||₩ 40,000,000||Stork||Samsung KHAN|
|2nd||$16,100||₩ 20,000,000||Fantasy||SK Telecom T1|
|3rd-4th||-||-||BeSt||SK Telecom T1|
}} The fifth through eighth place finishers were each awarded ₩3,000,000. Information concerning further cash prizes for other top finishers is not readily available.
- Offline Preliminaries
- 204 players are placed into 24 groups. A single player from each group advances to Ro36.
- Ro36 (aka ODT)
- 24 players from the offline prelims, eight players eliminated from 2008 Ever OSL Ro16, and the four players eliminated from 2008 EVER OSL Ro8 are placed into 12 groups. Each group is composed of two players from the prelims and one player seeded from the previous OSL. The former are matched, and the winner meets the seeded player for a chance to qualify to the Ro16.
- 12 players from the previous round join the four players seeded from 2008 Ever OSL and are placed into four groups. Round robin group play where the first two advance to the single-elimination and the last two are eliminated and going to the next ODT.
- Single-elimination best of three.
- Losers eliminated and going to the ODT.
- Single-elimination best of five.
- Single-elimination best of five.
|2008 Incruit OSL|
|Medusa||Return of the King||Plasma||Andromeda||Chupung-Ryeong|
Results: Group Stage
|3.||Much Eliminated to next ODT||1-2|
|4.||July Eliminated to next ODT||1-2|
|Group A Matches|
|3.||Light Eliminated to next ODT||1-2|
|4.||Rock Eliminated to next ODT||0-3|
|Group B Matches|
|3.||Luxury Eliminated to next ODT||1-2|
|4.||Thezerg Eliminated to next ODT||1-2|
|Group C Matches|
|3.||Sea Eliminated to next ODT||1-2|
|4.||BackHo Eliminated to next ODT||0-3|
|Group D Matches|
Results: Elimination Bracket
The Quarterfinals saw GGPlay eliminate Flash, a major upset that heralded GGPlay's run in the 2007 Daum OSL and brought tears from Flash. Fantasy upended Mind, who saw his glory days since his 2007 GOMTV MSL Season 3 win dissipate. BeSt overran his teammate Midas, an unfortunate and decidedly one-sided match-up. And in possibly the biggest upset of the tournament at that point, Stork defeated Bisu 2-1.
The semifinals were then set: the tremendous GGPlay versus newcomer Fantasy; king of Silver Stork versus the unstoppable BeSt. GGPlay's match seemed a forgone conclusion: Fantasy did not stand a chance. Coming out of a 2-1 victory over the Ultimate Weapon, Flash, GGPlay's ZvT seemed to be too much for newcomer Fantasy to handle. Stork, despite his victory over Bisu, was predicted to fall to BeSt, whose PvP record up to that point was a logic-defying 27-4. The two playdays that ensued defied all expectations.
Fantasy vs GGPlay saw a Royal Road candidate, Fantasy, go up against the old veteran GGPlay, who already had won a title, the 2007 Daum OSL. This series is notable because of the Mechanical strategy Fantasy used in his victories, as opposed to the traditional Bionic. The one game that Fantasy played the then standard SK Terran, GGPlay soundly defeated him. Game 1 on Plasma would be considered to be more of a cheese build than a mechanic build. In the games on Medusa and Chupung-Ryeong Fantasy blindsided GGPlay with the infamous Fantasy build which involved a quick Vulture drop into Valkyrie play. Many Terrans started using mech vs Zerg after this series.
BeSt vs Stork pitted a red hot BeSt against Stork. At the time of the series, BeSt boasted a 27-4 record in Protoss vs Protoss, 2 of those losses were at the hands of Stork himself. BeSt was held to have the best PvP in the game back then, however Stork had always been known for his superb PvP and was the only Protoss player who had any noteworthy success in the past against BeSt. The entire series is a must watch as Stork proved to everyone that he still had it in him, winning the series 3-1. Since this series, BeSt hasn't been the same. His chance at redemption ended at the hands of the newly crowned King of Protoss.
The stage of the Finals was set: Stork versus Fantasy. Would Stork's silver curse once again strike and crown Fantasy a Royal Roader?
Stork replied with a resounding 'no' in five highly suspenseful sets. Despite Stork gaining a two game lead, Fantasy evened the field in their matches on Return of the King and Plasma. With the final game returning to Chupung-Ryeong, Stork played at his fullest and finally earned his OSL gold.
- Fantasy vs GGPlay on Medusa Semifinals Game 2 - Fantasy introduces his new mech build.
- Fantasy vs GGPlay on Chupung-Ryeong Semifinals Game 4 - Fantasy wins his Semifinal with the same build used in game 2.
- BeSt vs Stork on Return of the King Semifinals Game 3 - Amazing game between two PvP masters. Both sides destroy each other's economy with reavers.
- BeSt vs Stork on Plasma Semifinals Game 4 - Stork gets himself a seat in the finals with a solid victory against BeSt. Good recovery from BeSt despite Stork proxying 2 gateways in his base on Plasma
- Bisu vs Stork on Chupung-Ryeong Quarterfinals Game 3 - Insanely close game between two old rivals. The game has so much action that neither play is able to expand past their natural and are both distance mining at the end. Intense back and forth goon-reaver battles.
- Flash vs Bisu on Medusa Round of 16 Group A - Many players like to cheese on new maps, and Flash goes back to his old ways and cheeses Bisu with a barracks right behind his main base.
- Flash vs GGPlay on Medusa Quarterfinals Game 1 - GGPlay reacts perfectly to Flash's mech build and takes every gas expansion available on Medusa.
- Much vs July on Medusa Round of 16 Group A - Much takes down ZvP master and defending champion July with a brilliantly executed cheese on Medusa.
- Bisu vs Much on Plasma Round of 16 Group A - Bisu counters Much's 1 base carriers using scouts on Plasma.
- Stork finished second place at the 2008 Bacchus OSL, the 2007 EVER OSL, the 2007 GOMTV MSL, in both 2007 & 2008 WCG Korea, and the 2008 GOMTV Star Invitational
- PGR21 tournament winnings
- Compilation of historical StarCraft prize purses
- TL thread on prize money
- 2008 Incruit OSL 40M and 20M
- 2008 Incruit OSL Flash 3M for 8th
|Previous Starleague: EVER2008 OSL |||2008 Incruit OSL||| Next Starleague: 2009 Batoo OSL|