2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 2
The 2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2 was the 20th OSL and the third sponsored by Shinhan Bank. The tournament featured the return of the players who achieved a top six placement in the previous season: Casy, ChoJJa, YellOw, JJu, ZergMaN, and Iris. The 18 remaining spots was awarded via the i-Station OnGameNet Dual Tournament. The event had a live finals and award ceremony on Jeju Island.
The 2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2 was played during the fall, which is traditionally won by a Protoss according to the Legend of the Fall. The Legend of the Fall candidates for this OSL were Bisu, Rock, TT, and Anytime, who happened to have won the last OSL played during the fall. Both Bisu and TT got knocked out in the round of 16, and Rock got knocked out by Goodfriend in the quarterfinals.
Anytime got second in his group, only losing to Midas and having a very close match against Casy on Arcadia 2. Anytime also unexpectedly crushed July on Tau Cross. Anytime had a close series against both GGPlay and GoRush in the round of 16 and quarterfinals respectively, except for game 1 against GoRush on Arcadia 2 where he made Protoss look powerful against Zerg, despite the match-up not looking like that for a long time. In the semifinals, Anytime faced Midas who was considered to have the best Terran vs Protoss at the time. After a close five game series, Anytime made it onto the Grand Final.
The resurgence of NaDa
This OSL also saw the resurgence of NaDa
who was after his third title. The year 2005 had started out well for NaDa
. After he won the IOPS OSL
in the finals, NaDa dropped early out of both UZOO MSL
and EVER 2005 OSL
in the following seasons. But the worst was just around the corner. On the 18th of July 2005, FiFo reported that NaDa's dad had been killed in a car accident. An intoxicated driver preformed an illegal U-turn and collided with NaDa's father.
NaDa was withdrawn from the Pantech & Curitel Curriors
roster for the next two months giving him time to come to terms with what had transpired.
About 2 weeks later, NaDa posted a poem on his fan café. In the poem one of things he stated was that he was going back to Seoul and practice, "[...] I... I'm going back... don't worry... I'm going back to the real NaDa... [...]".
In the first game after NaDa got back, he dominated Nal rA
NaDa lost to ClouD
in the winners game but crushed Nal_rA once more. After that NaDa fell into a slump once again, only winning around 50% in Proleague
and getting knocked out from both the ODT
and the MSL Survivor
. NaDa started out in 2006 with a bang, going on a 5-game winning streak and passing the first stage of the 8th MSL Survivor
. Then, thanks to an expanded league, NaDa defeated Shark
and Nal rA
in the i-Station OnGameNet Dual Tournament
to qualify for the 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 2. At the same time, he qualified for the 2006 Pringles MSL Season 2
. NaDa was back in both major individual leagues.
NaDa crushed his group going 3-0 against Jy, Light and ZergMaN. In the round of 16, NaDa faced TT, the series was very one-sided in NaDa's favor, only losing game one to a 2 Gate in-base proxy that went unscouted for too long. Before reaching the Grand Final NaDa demolished both ZergMaN and Goodfriend, 2-0 and 3-0 respectively in the quarterfinals and the semifinals.
The Grand Final started out on Tau Cross where Anytime did Reaver and High Templar drops on NaDa's expansions. NaDa lost the game mainly due to not having built two Missile Turrets at his expansions. In the second game, on Shin Peaks of Baekdu, Anytime went for a proxy Gateway opening but NaDa's wall blocked the Zealot from doing anything. Anytime went for a second proxy, this time a Robotics Facility, but NaDa got a scout out and saw it before it could hit and he played safely for the rest of the game, giving him the win. In the third game, on Arkanoid, NaDa performed several drops and relied on his macro abilities while Anytime engaged badly. The constant chipping away at Anytime by NaDa forced him have to type out of the game. The fourth game was played on Arcadia 2, on which Anytime was practically unbeatable. Anytime took a solid game forcing the series to a fifth and deciding game on Tau Cross. NaDa opened with a Vulture drop and simultaneous Vulture harass at Anytime's natural. Anytime had perfect defense and lost minimal Probes. After the defense, Anytime saw an opportunity and went for fast Carriers. NaDa caught the switch with a Scan and pushed. Anytime was dead before the first Carrier was out on the map.
NaDa won his third title, and became the first player to ever receive the Golden Mouse.
Notably, after the completion of the three 2006 Shinhan OSLs, the winners were invited to compete against one another at the 2007 Shinhan OSL Masters.
- Map Pool
- 24 Dual Tournament
- Round-robin best of one match group procedure. The top two ranked players in each group advance to the round of 16. The third place player from each group goes to the Wildcard Round.
- Sudden death:
- Third and fourth place are separated by a sudden death match instead of the head to head score.
- Two-way ties are separated by the head to head score in the group.
- Three-way ties are settled by a tiebreaker match.
- Wildcard Round
- Round-robin, best of one. The top two ranked players from each group advance to the round of 16.
- Three-way ties are settled by a tiebreaker match.
- 5th/6th Seed Matches
- Two randomly picked matches, one winner's game and one loser's game, Best of one.
- Top two players of the group get the seeds.
- Two way ties are settled by a tiebreaker match.
- Elimination Bracket
- Round of 16: Best of 3 matches.
- Quarterfinals: Best of 3 matches.
- Semifinals: Best of 5 matches.
- Third Place Match: Best of 3 matches.
- Grand Final: Best of 5 matches.
- The first map in a best of 5 series will be replayed if it comes to a fifth set.
￦110,000,000 (≈$117,700), and six seeds to the 2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 3 was spread among the players as seen below.
||￦40,000,000 + Seed
||$42,800 + Seed
||￦20,000,000 + Seed
||$21,400 + Seed
||￦8,000,000 + Seed
||$8560 + Seed
||￦6,000,000 + Seed
||$6420 + Seed
|| Click "Show" to see players
||￦3,000,000 + Seed
||$3210 + Seed
* Approximate USD amounts taken from XE.com on 18th November 2006. [₩1000 KRW = $1.07 USD].
Values are stated in 2006 dollars.
NaDa holding the ￦40,000,000 check during the award ceremony.
All the 24 players after the group selection ceremony the 22nd of August.
The group selection was split into four parts to display commercials and let the players rest. The group selection can be watched here: (Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4).
The seeds are divided into six groups. The first seed goes to Group A, the second to Group B etc. The first seeded player gets to pick a player first, the other seeds then pick in descending order. After all the initial picks are done, the picked player in Group F starts. The order reverse one more time until all players are in a group.
24 Dual Tournament
GoRush playing in the 2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2.
5th/6th Seed Matches
The official poster for the Grand Finals between Anytime and NaDa.
|Round of 24
|Round of 16
- The official Korean name for the 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 2 is "신한은행 스타리그 2006 Season 2".
The finals in the convention center on Jeju Island.
- The 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 2 was a part of OGN's "My Starleague".
- The 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 2 was the 20th OSL.
- The sponsor catchphrase was "도전하는 젊음과 함께하는 더 큰 감동", which roughly translate into "The challenge of youth, and an even bigger sensation that everyone experiences".
- This OSL was the first time it was being held in the Yongsan Studio located in i-Park Mall.
- The finals were held on Jeju Island, which is a large island of the southern coast of South Korea.
- This was the first time a Terran won against a Protoss in an OSL final.
- The semifinals had no Zergs for the first time since the So1 OSL.
- This was the first OSL Bisu qualified for.
- The 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 2 was the first tournament to crown a three time OSL champion, and thus NaDa receiving the Golden Mouse.
- The Legend of the Fall was not fulfilled.
- The Curse of the OSL Champion was fulfilled, however Casy lost all of his group games instead of winning his opening games.
- The potential Royal Roaders for this season were Bisu, Canata, firebathero, JiHyun, Jy, Light, Shine[Name], and TT. Bisu, firebathero, Shine[Name], and TT made it to the Round of 16. None of the Royal Roaders made it further.
- This was the second season of OSL that used the new 24 Dual Tournament format.
- The 2006 Shinhan Bank OSL Season 2 featured game details during the breaks, such as Gas, Minerals, and APM.
- This OSL was the first to use hip-hop music instead of rock in their Opening Soundtrack.
- Teaser Intro
- Round of 24 Intro
- Grand Final Intro
- Grand Finals Opening Ceremony
- Grand Finals Ending Award Ceremony
- Opening: Feature Cast - Channel Surfing
- Opening Moment: Chimaira - Painting the White to Grey
- Today's Matches, Players & Results: Mudvayne - Choices
- Today's Match-up: 30 Seconds to Mars - The Kill
- Last 10 Matches: Three Days Grace - Time of Dying
- Before a Match: Alien Ant Farm - State Of Emergency
- Anytime: Brown Eyes - Already One Year
- Bisu: Girlfriends - Maybe I Love You
- Canata: Sendoh vs Rukawa
- Casy: Christina Aguilera - Fighter
- ChoJJa: Quiet Riot - Cum on Feel the Noize
- ClouD: None/Unknown
- firebathero: 파인애플 - 마린의 후회 (Feat. 임요환&T1) (Pineapple - Marine Regret (Feat. Lim Yo Hwan & SKT T1))
- GGPlay: Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin
- Goodfriend: Westlife - You Raise Me Up
- GoRush: Nichole Nordeman - Holy
- Iris: Eminem - Lose Yourself
- JJu: Bon Jovi - It's My Life
- JiHyun: None/Unknown
- July: Frank Sinatra - My Way
- Jy: 666 - Paradox
- Light: 정재일 - 너에게 가는 길
- Midas: None/Unknown
- NaDa: Puddle Of Mudd - Blurry
- Rock: None/Unknown
- Sea: SM TOWN - Red Sun
- Shine[Name]: Stacie Orrico - Stuck
- TT: Lesiem - Fundamentum
- YellOw: 주석 - 정상을 위한 독주 2
- ZergMaN: 이지수(Lee Ji Soo) - Flying Petals
The big screen in the Yongsan Studio is showing various information from the recently played game, including APM.
Head-to-head montage of Anytime and NaDa during the 2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2.
A head-to-head montage of NaDa and Anytime during the Grand Finals.
An alternative banner for the 2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 조학동 (18 November 2006). "이윤열, 스타리그 3회 우승 '골든 마우스' 획득 [NaDa, Star League championship three times 'Acquired' Golden Mouse]" (in Korean). GAMEDONGA. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- ↑ "NaDa - The Genius Terran". steelseries. 12 October 2011. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Plexa (29 January 2008). "Letter to the Sky (Nada)". TeamLiquid.net. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- ↑ NaDa's games played during his withdrawal (TLPD) NaDa is absent for an almost two month period where he is not playing Proleague, from 05-07-12 to 05-09-06.
- ↑ Anytime's TLPD Winrate on Arcadia 2
- ↑ 한연규 (19 June 2006). "신한은행 스타리그 2006, 역대 최대 규모 상금 쏜다 [Star League 2006 Shinhan Bank, the largest ever cash prize shoot]" (in Korean). GAMEDONGA. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 한연규 (23 August 2006). "용산 e스포츠 경기장, 새로운 'e스포츠 성지'로 떠오른다 [Yongsan e-Sports Stadium, the new 'e Sports sanctuaries' Rises]" (in Korean). GAMEDONGA. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- ↑ "신한은행 스타리그 2006 Season 2 리그컨셉 - 위키백과, 우리 모두의 백과사전 [2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]" (in Korean). Wikipedia. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- ↑ "신한은행 스타리그 2006 Season 2 스폰서 캐치프레이즈 - 위키백과, 우리 모두의 백과사전 [2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]" (in Korean). Wikipedia. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- ↑ supernovamaniac (19 December 2012). "Twitter / supernovamaniac". Retrieved 26 December 2012.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "신한은행 스타리그 2006 Season 2 특이사항 - 위키백과, 우리 모두의 백과사전 [2006 Shinhan Bank OnGameNet Starleague Season 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]" (in Korean). Wikipedia. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- ↑ Live2Win (9 March 2006). "New OSL Format". TeamLiquid. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- ↑ rinizim (1 November 2006). "[Interview + VOD1101 Shinhan 2 Starleague Semis"]. TeamLiquid. Retrieved 23 October 2013.