Depending on the situation, the match-up and the composition of your deck, a Leper Gnome can either be a godsend to your early game (with its ability to trade with 2 Health 2 Mana cards that may either come out on turn 2 or be coined on turn 1, such as Novice Engineer, Acidic Swamp Ooze, Knife Juggler, Faerie Dragon, Bloodfen Raptor and Mad Bomber (providing his Battlecry does not one-shot your minion.)) or can put your opponent in a commanding early game position.
This card can be dealt with following cards and classes:
- Hunter - Can be eliminated with a 1 Mana Arcane Shot
- Mage - Can be eliminated with the 2 Mana Hero Power, Fireblast without sacrificing a card.
- Warlock - Playing Leper Gnome effectively gives the player something to Mortal Coil and gain a card draw from. Additionally, a Succubus or a Voidwalkercan be a direct counter-play unless you somehow buff the Gnome to trade with it or attack it without dying. Finally, the Blood Imp can weaken your Gnome's killing power drastically through buffing any card you play next with 1 additional Health whilst being unkillable.
- Warrior - A Cruel Taskmaster can eliminate the card if played on Turn 2 or via using The Coin. Warriors will take 2 damage but will make a card-efficient trade due to only using the battlecry of the Taskmaster.
- Rogue - Even though using Dagger Mastery and subsequentially stabbing the Gnome will result in you taking 4 damage (2 from the Gnome's attack and 2 from the Deathrattle, it makes for a card efficient trade as only the Hero Power would be used.
- Druid - Can be eliminated without playing a card via the 2 Mana Hero Power, Shapeshift
- Ironbeak Owl - Playing this (whether on turn 2 or on turn 1 via The Coin) will result in a silence, thus negating the Deathrattle. While this can certainly be played around with the use of any card (ideally via its battlecry) or Hero Ability that would eliminate the owl without losing the owl.
- Any minion with at least 3 Health such as River Crocolisk, Succubus, Voidwalker or Bloodsail Raider. The Leper Gnome won't be able to directly trade without some kind of buff.
|Void Terror||Rare||Warlock||Minion||Demon||3||3||3||Battlecry: Destroy the minions on either side of this minion and gain their Attack and Health.|
Leper Gnomes are irradiated Gnomes residing in the city of Gnomeregan. Thanks to the power-hungry ways of Sicco Thermaplugg, and his desire to usurp Gelbin Mekkatorque from his role of High Tinker, he irradiated the majority of the Gnomish race residing in Gnomeregan, forcing Mekkatorque and a small band of survivors to flee to Ironforge and seek refuge with his Dwarven allies. Thus, the Tinker Town district of Ironforge was founded.
In World of Warcraft, Leper Gnomes are a vast majority of the enemies appearing inside the Gnome starting zone established in Cataclysm as well as the Gnomeregan instance. Thermaplugg was believed to be dead until Operation Gnomeregan (in late Wrath) revealed that he was still alive and scheming. He was once again killed in Cataclysm.
- "Leper Gnome - Wowpedia" – Leper Gnome Article by Wowpedia on WoWpedia.com, n.d.. Retrieved 21/11/2013.