- For the game mechanic, see Purge (Ability).
|This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone or spelling. You can assist by editing it now.|
Kevin "Purge" Godec is an American commentator and Dota 2 content creator. Starting from making DotA content in 2011 on his youtube channel and his website PurgeGamers, he is a popular figure in the Dota 2 community.
Born in the United States, Kevin was gaming enthusiast since when he was young, his alias Purge came from purchasing an Xbox when Halo 2 was released and initally called himself "Purge058" with the numbers are named after a spartan from the Halo book series. Consequently, he removed the numbers from his nickname to Purge. Purge found interest in playing DotA after playing on Warcraft III custom maps and stumbled upon the game. Kevin graduated in 2009 and obtained a physics degree.
While being made redundant in his engineering job, he saw an opportunity to make YouTube videos after seeing numerous "Youtubers" becoming famous from making videos and income from it. While playing a variety of games during his transition to making YouTube videos, he watched a Youtuber called Husky, a popular Starcraft 2 caster and found inspiration from it. His Youtube channel was called "PurgeGamers" and initally made DotA tutorials and casting competitive teams and smaller tournaments such as DotaCash before the beta Dota 2 of Valve was announced. Showing determination and effort with his work despite having criticism, he continued to produce content on his Youtube channel and his website and over time became popular. While producing content, he also took on other roles such as interviewing, playing in a competitive team and analysing Dota 2 games in prestige tournaments such as The International and The Majors. To this day, Purge is one of the most popular figures in the Dota 2 community.
Kevin publishes an on-going series of "Purge Plays..." videos aimed at helping newer players. Each video is a full game played and commentated with each Hero, where he discusses strategy and mechanics. He also known for making "Welcome to Dota, You Suck..." guides to help beginners obtain a significant amount of knowledge about the concept of the game and its mechanics. Purge also provides
- A Forum on his "website..." to ask anything Dota related
- Commentary on his streams
As a caster
After shifting to Dota 2 he continued to cast small tournaments and casting pub matches. He was invited by Valve in 2012 to to do English post-game interviews at The International 2012.  After finding recent success as an interviewer and returning back from a short period of playing in a professional team, Purge was picked up by Valve for for the beginner's stream of The International 2014, which was designed for newer players who were just introduced to the game. He saw this as a good opportunity for him to improve as a caster. In 2015 he was later invited to The International 2015 and Frankfurt Major. In the International 2016, he was invited by Valve to as a "Weatherman" during analysis segments, showing a different way of analyzing the game using hi-tech equipment and software accompanied with new tools such as drawing and creating clips on a television screen.
As a player
In January of 2014 Purge joined his first competitive team, Team Zephyr. The team was formed to participate in the weaker South Korean scene, allowing for the growth of the DotA in South Korea as well as the improvement of the players on Zephyr who felt they weren't good enough to compete in the North American or European scene. Living and training in South Korea, Purge and Zephyr found immediate success by winning the Nexon Sponsorship League Season 3. In late 2015, after retiring from the professional scene at mid-January, Purge joined the casual team, Vegetable Esports Club, with other casters and Dota personalities. He remained with the team until The International 2016's Americas Open Qualifiers, where he and Maelk were replaced by Black and Fogged.
- Had a guest appearence in an episode of "Bull"
- Famous for the phrase "Hello everybody, this is Purge.", an often used opening statement in his videos
|2016-01-06||3 - 4th||Qualifier||Shanghai Major 2016: Americas Open Qualifier #2||1 : 2||$0|
|2014-05-17||5 - 10th||Qualifier||The International 2014: SEA Qualifiers||3/-/6||Grp. S.||$0|
|2014-04-19||7 - 8th||Minor||The Inaugural||0/-/3||Grp. S.||$0|
|About achievementsComplete Results in any Tournament|
Notable Events Casted or Hosted
|2017-04-30||Premier||The Kiev Major 2017||EN Commentator|
|2017-04-04||Premier||Dota 2 Asia Championships 2017||EN Caster|
|2016-12-10||Premier||The Boston Major 2016||EN Analyst|
|2016-08-13||Premier||The International 2016||EN Analyst|
|2016-06-12||Premier||The Manila Major 2016||EN Analyst|
|2015-11-21||Premier||The Frankfurt Major 2015||Analyst|
|2015-08-08||Premier||The International 2015||EN Commentator|
|2014-07-21||Premier||The International 2014||EN Commentator|
|2012-09-02||Premier||The International 2012||EN Commentator|
- 2016-08-05 | The International 2016: Kevin 'Purge' Godec on the thrills, spills and global reach of the $20m gaming event by Luke Dolan of TalkRadio.uk at The International 2016
- 2016-06-21 | Purge’s top tips for breaking into the Dota talent by Ollie Ring of RedBull eSports
- 2015-07-28 | TI5 Community Report: Hot_Bid and Purge by Hot_Bid of Valve at The International 2015
- 2015-05-07 | I am Purge. AMA by Purge of PurgeGamers
- 2014-07-22 | Purge talks Dota’s revolutionary n00b stream by Philippa Warr of RedBull.com
- 2014-07-14 | TI4 Interview: Purge and Hot_Bid by "Hot_Bid" at The International 2014
- 2013-11-23 | Purge @ MLG Columbus "I feel that I could be a pretty high tier male prostitute" by Hot_Bid of TeamLiquid.net at MLG Championship Columbus
- 2013-08-11 | Purge Inteview Dota 2 Ti3 by Jess Brohard of Curse at The International 2013
- 2013-03-23 | I am Purge, a Dota 2 player/caster/YouTuber. AMA by Purge of PurgeGamers
- 2013-03-17 | Purge at MLG Dallas 2013 by Hot_Bid of Teamliquid.net at MLG Dallas 2013
- 2012-12-01 | Interview with Purge by Hot_Bid of TeamLiquid.net at IPL5
- 2012-11-06 | Purge: Special Guest on talkDOTA by joinDOTA
- 2012-09-03 | Purge @ The International 2 by Heyoka of TeamLiquid.net at The International 2012
- 2012-08-10 | Interview with Purge from Purgegamers by Team Dignitas
- 2012-04-02 | Purge: 'You have to bust ass' by GosuGamers
- "I am Purge, a Dota 2 player/caster/YouTuber. AMA". Purge. 2013. Retrieved August 19, 2016.
- "I am Purge, a Dota 2 player/caster/YouTuber. AMA". Purge. Retrieved August 19,2016.
- "Purge: Special Guest on talkDOTA". JoinDOTA. November 6,2012. Retrieved August 19,2016.
- Purge Interviews Dendi and Puppey - 2012
- "Kevin Godec". IMDB.com. Retrieved 2017-03-14.