Experience (also known as exp or xp) is given to a hero when an enemy dies nearby. All opposing heroes within range gain experience, which is divided equally among them. When heroes gain enough experience they level up, increasing their attributes and allowing them to improve their skills.
- Experience range is 1300. All opposing heroes in that area gain experience from the kill. The experience is divided equally among them.
- Heroes that are in a 1300 range of a dying enemy hero will be granted an amount of experience, depending on the number of allied heroes in range.
- Any hero kill done outside of this 1300 area grants experience to the killer.
- Kills made by units under a hero's control are counted as being made by the hero.
- Heroes continue to take a portion of experience even when they reach level 25.
- Denying an allied unit does not grant you experience.
- When a neutral creep is killed their experience is shared with all heroes from both teams within range.
- If ownership of a unit changes due to conversion, and it has a ranged projectile mid-flight, the projectile can potentially deal lethal damage to its owner, resulting in a deny.
A hero levels up by acquiring experience points from enemies (including Creeps, Towers, and summoned units) that die nearby. Experience is very important as it grants levels to the hero which in turn are used to acquire powerful spells, abilities and talents, and increase the hero's stats. The maximum level is 25.
Whenever a hero kills an ally it counts as a deny. When a deny is performed an exclamation mark appears over the denied unit. A denied unit gives reduced experience and no gold to the enemy.
Heroes can only target allied creeps if they are at 50% health or lower. A denied creep gives 70% of its experience bounty to the enemy. The denying team is granted the remaining 30% of the XP bounty.
Denied summons grant no experience or gold. Summons that die by timing out or due to summoning new ones also do not grant experience or gold.
Denied heroes grant no experience or gold.
Heroes can only be denied if they are at 25% health or lower and under the effect of one of the following skills:
At 50% health or lower:
Additionally some skills and items allow heroes to damage themselves or allies. Dying in this way is also considered a deny.
- Abaddon's Mist Coil
- Alchemist's Unstable Concoction
- Bane's Nightmare
- Pudge's Rot
- Pugna's Life Drain
- Techies' Blast Off!
- Bloodstone's Pocket Deny
The experience bounty from a hero kill depends on the killed hero's level and the difference in total team experience.
L = Killed Hero's Level
HeroXP = Total XP of the Killed hero
ETXP = Enemy team's total XP
TXP = Your team's total XP
XPDiff = (ETXP - TXP) / (ETXP + TXP) (minimum 0)
XPF = XPDiff × HeroXP
E = Extra hero kill experience, listed in the table below as Hero Experience
- 1 Hero: 18 × L + 0.1242 × XPF + E
- 2 Heroes: 13.5 × L + 0.1242 × XPF + E/2
- 3 Heroes: 9 × L + 0.108 × XPF + E/3
- 4 Heroes: 6.3 × L + 0.081 × XPF + E/4
- 5 Heroes: 4.5 × L + 0.0648 × XPF + E/5
Hero Experience Table
The table below shows experience required for heroes to be at a certain level, as well as experience gained from killing heroes and units.
Explanation of each of the columns:
- Level: The level of the hero.
- Experience Required: The amount of experience that a hero at the prior level with 0 experience must accumulate to achieve this level.
- Cumulative Experience: The minimum total experience a hero must accumulate during a game to be at the indicated level.
- Hero Kill Experience: The base amount of experience given by killing a hero, it is split among all allied heroes of the killing unit within 1300 range. This value does not include the bonus experience that hero kills also give.
- Unit Kill Experience: The base amount of experience given by killing a unit, it is split among all allied heroes of the killing unit within 1300 range. This value is 50% less if the killed unit counts as a summoned unit.
|Hero Experience Table|
|Level||Experience Required||Cumulative Experience||Hero Kill Experience||Unit Kill Experience|
XP Gain Talent Effectiveness
Some Heroes have Level 10 or Level 15 Talents that increase the amount of experience gained. The following tables show how much less experience is required to get to a certain level by taking that talent.
|Level 10 Talent|
|Level 15 Talent|
This table shows how many levels worth of XP the talents gains at level 25. E.g. the 30% talent @ level 15 earns 3875 experience, which is level 25 with level 23.37 worth of experience. Therefore, it gains 1.63 levels.
|Levels Gained at Level 25|
@ Level 10
@ Level 15
|Patch Version||Balance Changes|