MLG X Games Aspen Invitational
Major League Gaming (MLG) has announced that it will hold a CS:GO LAN tournament in the United States in January. Last month, MLG founder and CEO Sundance DiGiovanni had dropped a strong hint that the organisation would soon make a big investment in CS:GO after creating in 2012 an online ladder for this game to test the water. MLG has now announced that it has partnered up with ESPN X Games to host a CS:GO tournament in Aspen, Colorado, from January 23-25, whose highlights will be aired during the X Games telecasts on ESPN and ABC, and on the X Games digital and social platforms.
Adam Apicella, who runs MLG's day-to-day operations, revealed on reddit that the event will feature a prize pool of $50,000, though this has not yet been confirmed by MLG itself. The tournament will feature the top eight teams from North America and Europe, who will be determined through online qualifiers hosted via MLG.tv.
- Group stage
- 2 Groups of 4 teams each. Every teams will play against each other in their group.
- Matches are Best of 1.
- Best of 3 Single Elimination bracket.
$50,000 (USD) are spread among the teams as seen below:
- 1 iBUYPOWER is now Wicked Masterminds
- 2 ex-mouseSpaz join Counter Logic Gaming
- 3 Wicked Masterminds rename to Clutch Cats
- 4 ex-iBUYPOWER withdraw from the tournament.
- 5 ex-iBUYPOWER will be replaced by Team Liquid.